youtube ads and why some should be let through

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Robbie105984

youtube ads and why some should be let through

Post by Robbie105984 »

When I'm in the consumers position I love Adblock. This forum is not meant to say that we should stop Adblock. However when approaching Adblock from the Content creators side on Youtube it becomes difficult. When one of our main sources of income becomes cut off it becomes very difficult to continue to create content on a regular basis. Please Adblock fix this, you are hurting Content Creators a community I want to see grow.

Thanks, Robbie
mapx

Re: youtube ads and why some should be let through

Post by mapx »

ABP team offers acceptable ads initiative:
acceptable-ads
Michel Merlin

Allow some non-intrusive advertising FAILS in Youtube

Post by Michel Merlin »

Allow some non-intrusive advertising FAILS in Youtube

For instance on the (HD) Mozart: Great mass in C minor, KV. 427 | John Eliot Gardiner page:

A - If ABP is disabled I get TWO ads:
  1. A1. One perfectly correct (sans overlay; standard placement in top of right column; standard 300×250px dimensions; STATIC), currently an ad for AVAST (french version), which in addition is a discreete unoffending nice gray color
  2. A2. One totally inacceptable: a banner in OVERLAY! over the MAIN content (the video itself)! with a DELIBERATELY UTTERLY OFFENSIVE SIZE (the 728×90px which is standard for FULL WIDTH TOP BANNERS)! and REPEATING the ad on top of right column, thus offering NO REAL COMMERCIAL INFO!
    Notice that this offending so-called "advertising" (of course people doing such offenses don't hope or expect or try to sell anything to anyone) can take various forms when you refresh the page: either a smaller banner, e.g. 450×63px; or oppositely an EVEN WORSE ad, where the main video is OVERLAYED on its ENTIRE surface with a commercial video! totally preventing me from watching that video! and this, for SIX THOUSANDS MILLISECONDS!!! (Did those "developers" ever think, and test for themselves, what is SIX ENTIRE SECONDS when waiting for something as mundane as watching a video?)
A3. Each time I refresh the page I get A DIFFERENT set of 2 ads. This also is an attempt at visitors and advertisers: when an ad is able to sell something, which implies it is polite and well behaved, and in case it is relevant to the user, then the user will NOT miss to notice it, and he will even remember it and may want to come back to the page to find it back. Changing the ads is thus defeating the very ads that could be effective; so making ads dynamic is just a trick of some young inexperienced so-called "developers" who, still (in 2016!) childishly proud to know how to build dynamic pages, miss the purpose itself of advertising.

B - If ABP is enabled with its default settings I get none of the 2 ads; which harms the Youtube site, its advertisers, AND ME: it is right of course to block the FALSE ad (the overlay), but it should let run the polite ad (the top right 300×250px static)

C - If ABP is enabled with its "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" option checked, this FAILS to correct the previous case and let run the polite ad.

Versailles, Fri 21 Oct 2016 01:31:30 +0200
Michel Merlin

Only ads that people LIKE and DESIRE will sell

Post by Michel Merlin »

Only ads that people LIKE and DESIRE will sell
mapx wrote:ABP team offers acceptable ads initiative:
acceptable-ads
Infinitely linking the same page that you did NOT read and test (at least recently) helps nothing and none. Your Acceptable Ads process FAILS on Youtube (see my detailed test and report in Allow some non-intrusive advertising FAILS in Youtube) and probably in other sites.
Even worse, you seem just as unable to understand the problem as the worse so-called "advertisers" (actually spammers), who totally miss the problem of advertising and of readers and watchers. For newspapers and billboards, advertisers have been unable to grasp the very basic of it for 20 years until they finally understood that an ad must never get in the way; an useful ad will always get noticed by the concerned readers, even if aside or even on another page; do we need to wait another 20 years for advertisers to understand the exact thing for the net?
So I just recall: advertising is vital, for the whole market, consumers, producers, advertisers, medias. Consumers are never against TRUE advertising; they are against FALSE Advertising, i.e. any sort of overlay or autoplay: any ad with that sort of deliberate nuisance IS NOT and ad since it will never sell anything to anyone. Remember, the product being bought or not is decided by the customer, NOT by the advertiser or the maker or the media support; so an ad which deliberately makes itself HATED by the reader WILL NEVER SELL. Newspapers finally understood that their ads should be near from the main content, and if possible related, but never make it harder or slower to read by a hundredth of a second, and never do anything deliberately and openly unethical, like ABP is unfortunately starting to do now.
America has once been the place where people continued to understand that bad ethics = bad business; to sell volumes you need to be honest.
Versailles, Fri 21 Oct 2016 18:38:40 +0200
mapx

Post by mapx »

@Michel, you already posted about, you could eventually add some screenshot to explain better what do you mean.

However, only the ABP team members could respond to you. I'm an independent moderator.
Michel Merlin

Post by Michel Merlin »

mapx wrote:eventually add some screenshot
You are right, I should have thought of it, I will try to do it ASAP. Thanks anyway for replying so quickly.
Notice however that understanding what I said is immediate when reading, so asking for screen dumps may have little effect other than slowing down the addressing of this very important question.
mapx wrote:only the ABP team members could respond to you
You did respond many times to other people and similar questions, so I felt like I could reply.
Versailles, Fri 21 Oct 2016 19:11:20 +0200
Michel Merlin

Post by Michel Merlin »

I posted the requested screen dumps, see Screen dumps of Youtube SANS or WITH AdBlock Plus of 19:01:00 GMT.
Now I suggest you do the same to show, here in this thread and more importantly in all the pages like Acceptable-Ads, what you feel acceptable or not.

there are very little YT "acceptable" ads that I dislike; the only YT ads (or so-called "features") I dislike are the ones everyone is strongly hating, like the ones I outlined in red bold in the previous posts. I am not sure (short of screen dumps) what you call « taboola ("acceptable") crap », yet I guess I share your opinion on this.
Now since written exchanges don't show in what manner we see each other (especially when speaking as direct and frank as I did in my 1st post here ;) ), I want to thank you again for your care.
Versailles, Fri 21 Oct 2016 21:42:55 +0200
Michel Merlin

Post by Michel Merlin »

The posts I carefully ironed to present as clearly as possible the issue I was addressing, then the screen dumps you requested, have been deleted.
I give up, I am uninstalling ABP everywhere and starting to evaluate the various (and unfortunately not numerous) alternatives available.
Too bad, ABP was a good idea. Yet it needed some adaptation to the changes in the market, and some fixes and improvements. Short of any hope for these adaptations, fixes and improvements, ABP is losing interest, for me at least.
Versailles, Fri 21 Oct 2016 22:31:50 +0200
mapx

Post by mapx »

You deleted your own post. I only merged the 2 threads.
Michel Merlin

Post by Michel Merlin »

mapx wrote:You deleted your own post. I only merged the 2 threads.
This is once more FALSE. I deleted A COPY of my post. It now appears that you had copied my post here, then you deleted MY original without notifying or asking me.
Then you post publicly grave and false accusations against me then you delete my prudent and restraint reply, while nevertheless keeping your false accusations posted.
I guess this one in turn will get deleted.
Too bad, I had thought we could agree and progress.
Versailles, Fri 21 Oct 2016 22:44:20 +0200
mapx

Post by mapx »

Then you post publicly grave and false accusations against
I asked you not commenting about me anymore. If you have any other complain use pm. Nobody is interested in these weird allegations.