WE pay for bandwidth - not advertisers, not webmeisters

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Uh Clem

WE pay for bandwidth - not advertisers, not webmeisters

Post by Uh Clem »

The discussion of adblocking technology has always devolved into the incorrect camp: webmeisters sell our participating clicks for their revenue. "It's the way we make money. Otherwise, we're free to you Users."

WRONG. I PAY FOR BANDWIDTH. I don't want MY bandwidth consumed by flashy spinning whirlygig video-ads.

I think all websurfers want FAST access to webpages but advertisers REFUSE TO ALLOW THIS by consuming so much of our bandwidth. I never want a video-ad. I never want animations flashed. I would LOVE to have text-only blocks: "Want new shoes? Click here." "Want more sugar? Click here".

"Want to be baited & switched? Want to be misled? Click here, here and here."

Advertisers would get JUST AS MUCH OF MY CLICKS THEN as they do NOW. I promise!

Stop consuming my bandwidth. Stop the deception that this is all "Free" for consumers. WE PAY FOR OUR BANDWIDTH. It is NOT free.
lewisje

Re: WE pay for bandwidth - not advertisers, not webmeisters

Post by lewisje »

In a marginal sense, those sites are in fact free: Having already paid for your Internet access, you don't pay any more just because you go to these particular sites (although in some parts of the world, you do pay based on the amount of bandwidth you use).

More importantly, website hosts do pay for bandwidth, and many of them rely on ad revenue from users less sophisticated than you to help defray that cost; web ad networks also pay for bandwidth and rely on payments from the entities that pay for the advertisements.

I don't agree with adblock-warning and anti-adblock methods, because as you said, the more dedicated ad-blocking users wouldn't click anyway, but I do understand why sites that are, in British parlance, "free at the point of use" would run ads to begin with.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.