Does new platform address malvertising?

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
bl0ckth1s

Does new platform address malvertising?

Post by bl0ckth1s »

I am not one of the anti-ad purists. In the old days, I just disabled Flash to suppress video adds, and ignored the rest. I started using Adblock when I started to get hit regularly with malvertising even from major, seemingly reputable sites. Publishers whine about lost revenue. Well, if you make your living selling access to my browser to every hacker on earth, frack you backwards. I have no sympathy.

Previously, it seemed that Adblock's criteria for acceptable ads covered format only, and not whether the ad server is trying to plant a Trojan horse on your computer. To me, that makes it a waste of time. I wondered if the new whitelisting platform is equally oblivious to the malvertising threat.

N.B. Adblock doesn't really block advertising. It blocks ad servers. Publishers could easily use advertising if they were willing to host it on their own servers and be responsible for it. So don't cry for them.
Viotolto

Re: Does new platform address malvertising?

Post by Viotolto »

Yes, it does.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

bl0ckth1s wrote:Previously, it seemed that Adblock's criteria for acceptable ads covered format only, and not whether the ad server is trying to plant a Trojan horse on your computer. To me, that makes it a waste of time.
We have never allowed ads that spread illegal content or support illegal sites, irregardless of the criteria. Obviously, malware can be spread even over large reputable ad networks but it's also in their interest to prevent such incidents from happening.
bl0ckth1s wrote:I wondered if the new whitelisting platform is equally oblivious to the malvertising threat.
I suppose with "whitelisting platform" you're referring to our partner ComboTag so I'd suggest contacting them about your concerns. They should be able to answer your questions about the platform.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

If you really are concerned about malvertising, you (as a user) would disable the Acceptable Ads whitelist, because it turns out that even PNGs can be weaponized: http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/12 ... ent-blitz/

You still won't keep every vector of attack away, but keeping as many ads away as possible, even images, is good attack-surface reduction.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.