Sorry, but this is really not nice.

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
ArjenSmit

Sorry, but this is really not nice.

Post by ArjenSmit »

I have been a happy adblock user for a while now and i have always been using the acceptable adds option because i am among the 75% that thinks those should not be blocked.
However, now that i have read about the 30% revenue payed to ABP, i turned it off.

I always respected ABP for what you are doing, but now that i learned about this, my respect has sunk dramatically. This is third party extortion from ABP and i cannot cooperate with it.

You make an addblocker, for obvious reasons it reaches a huge market.
Then you start to demand 30% revenue from the advertisers to let their adds trough. That is kind of like blocking a road that isnt yours and then letting everyone pay you to get past. (sure not the small ones who dont want to make the effort of keeping their stuff up to date with ABP each time they edit their page while ABP doesnt want to make an effort of getting their small amount of revenue. That really doesnt change anything)
If you do things like this, you shouldn't be surprised that merkel wants to ban add-blockers.

You may ask me to pay 5$ for using ABP instead and i will pay it happily. But of course not as long as this extortion system exists.

Im also pretty sure it is actually possible to automatically check if adds are acceptable or not. It might not be super easy, but possible it is for sure. (We live in a world where mars is soon to be colonized remember) Saying it isnt is a lame excuse for your extortion practices.
mapx

Re: Sorry, but this is really not nice.

Post by mapx »

about#monetization
We receive some donations from our users, but our main source of revenue comes as part of the Acceptable Ads initiative. Larger entities pay a licensing fee for the whitelisting services requested and provided to them (90% of the licences are granted for free, to smaller entities). It should be noted that the Acceptable Ads criteria must be met independent of the consideration for payments. If the criteria are not met, whitelisting is impossible.

Here are some details regarding the fees:

Only large entities have to pay. We qualify an entity as large when it gains more than 10 million additional ad impressions per month due to participation in the Acceptable Ads initiative.
For these entities, our licensing fee normally represents 30 percent of the additional revenue created by whitelisting its acceptable ads.
ArjenSmit

Post by ArjenSmit »

Indeed, thats where i have read this.

I cannot understand how people think this is acceptable. These are gang practices. I started spreading the word and searching for competing add blockers that behave more ethical.
smed79

Post by smed79 »

Acceptable Ads explained: monetization
blog/acceptable-ads-explained-monetization
mapx

Post by mapx »

What is acceptable for you ? 10% ? 1% ? all free ? It's all explained above, just read it.

(I'm not part of the official ABP / Eyeo team)