Mildly disappointed

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
tymime

Mildly disappointed

Post by tymime »

I've been leaving "allow non-intrusive advertising" checked for a while- up until now I hadn't actually seen any advertising at all using Adblock, so I assumed that anything whitelisted was okay (stuff like Project Wonderful maybe).

But just today I saw a plain, obvious scam of an ad on Thesaurus.com. It was just text, but the text was the old "Lose Body Fat With This 1 Weird Trick!!". At first I thought that Adblock had just missed it somehow. But I couldn't block it. I'd seen similar things before- maybe it was more complicated and I needed a custom filter. So I looked at the website code and was dismayed to find the word "adblock" inside. Unchecking confirmed my suspicions.

It wasn't huge and flashy, but it was still phony and definitely irritating. If this is your idea of "acceptable" ads, you seriously need to rethink it.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Mildly disappointed

Post by greiner »

Such ads are indeed not acceptable and should remain blocked so thank you for spotting this issue. Note that unblocking ads is a manual process so this kind of feedback is very helpful to ensure that obtrusive ads remain blocked.

We recently fixed a similar issue on dictionary.com so in case you happened to navigate from thesaurus.com to dictionary.com please let us know whether you can still reproduce this issue. If not please send us a link to a page with such an ad so that we can fix this issue.