I want to support Acceptable ads, but....

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Rashkae

I want to support Acceptable ads, but....

Post by Rashkae »

First, I just want to say that fully support the concept of Acceptable ads. I understand that sponsorship is an important way to fund the websites I like and depend on, and a scorched earth "no adversiting allowed" stance will not help anyone. At the same time, we all know that Ad's had gotten completely out of hand, and a response was needed to police the industry, which completely failed to reign itself in. I think Adblock plus Acceptable ads is a perfect compromise.

However, in the past 6 months, I've had 3 incidences of Users either being infected with malware, or otherwise victim of fraudulent websites by clicking on deceptive Google ads instead of search results.

This has been a growing problem for years, and is only getting worse. I still remember when Goere ads were kept very distinct from search results, but it's clear Google has been re-working their design to co-mingle sponsored results with plausible deniability, (we put a little 'Ad' symbol... feh)

Like I said, I don't have a moral objection to Advertising. Fraud and malware, however, is a real problem and costs my clients and users real money. Unless Google somehow convinces me they have taken significant steps to clean up their cesspool, or Adblock plus includes an easy way to exclude bad domains from the acceptable ad list, (such as adblock itself can be enabled or dissabled per domain.), then I have no choice but disable Acceptable ads everywhere I install Adblock..(assuming I don't switch to an adbloker configured this way by default.)
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: I want to support Acceptable ads, but....

Post by greiner »

As far as I'm aware of this problem is not limited to one specific ad provider but is a sympomatic problem of the large scale and automated nature of online advertising. On the topic of deceptive ads, there is a section "Distinction" in the Acceptable Ads criteria.

That being said, we are working on ways to give users even more control over which ads they want to allow.
yankonapc

Post by yankonapc »

I'm all for non-intrusive advertising, but my ads have been getting more and more invasive every day despite what I'd assumed were agreements against this sort of thing. Just a moment ago I was greeted with a still image, out of the way, but depicting a pair of boots that I had been looking at a few days ago on a shoe shop site. I've told my Firefox to discard cookies when I close my browser, to tag my activity as 'do not track' and in every possible way be left alone by creepy Gattaca-style targeted advertising, yet here they were. I visited the Criteo site and it politely explained that it does indeed target ads, and the only way to prevent them from targeting you is for you to allow cookies that specifically opt you out of their campaigns. That doesn't sound absurd or intrusive at all! Please let me know when you manage to filter out invasive tracker advertising services, because then I will happily permit Acceptable Ads again.
smed79

Post by smed79 »

@yankonapc Did you try to subscribe to EasyPrivacy from https://easylist.to/ or subscriptions