Is it morally wrong to use AdBlock?

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.

Is it morally wrong to use AdBlock?

Postby tuongtndg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:58 am

When someone gives away their content with advertising attached to it, they are gambling on one important thing and if they screw it up, they are out of business.
:( :( :(
Media outlets lost sight of this and it cost them money and readership. Ad blockers aren’t the problem at all.

I promise you that ad blockers aren’t hurting media companies as much as much as they hurt themselves with poor management of their own business. I don’t see ad blockers as immoral.

I see them as a signal that media companies don’t know how to run their own business to deliver meaningful value to readers and advertisers.
tuongtndg

Re: Is it morally wrong to use AdBlock?

Postby demonicvampiregirl » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 am

I wouldn't mind showing ads if they would fully look at each and every single one making sure none of them had virus' or malware attached. They also need to start being smart about it, 2 ads at the top and bottom of a page is plenty enough but many websites will stick them wherever they have a free space. That slows loading times down and is seriously annoying. So I use ABP or similar add-ons to help with that. Sorry if it costs them a few dollars but the safety of my PC and it's contents are more important than them getting a little bit of money each time I see their website.
demonicvampiregirl

Re: Is it morally wrong to use AdBlock?

Postby jimbo753 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm

tuongtndg wrote:When someone gives away their content with advertising attached to it, they are gambling on one important thing and if they screw it up, they are out of business.
Media outlets lost sight of this and it cost them money and readership. Ad blockers aren’t the problem at all.

I promise you that ad blockers aren’t hurting media companies as much as much as they hurt themselves with poor management of their own business. I don’t see ad blockers as immoral.

I see them as a signal that media companies don’t know how to run their own business to deliver meaningful value to readers and advertisers.

idk. i personally feel it's not. it's like their business model is based on shoving ads down others' throats, which isn't really moral to begin with but still, a decent model until adblock came along :D that's always been te case with nature, adblock is just the bigger fish. :D
jimbo753

Return to Acceptable Ads discussion