How to block youtube ads in Safari in 2020

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
zap

How to block youtube ads in Safari in 2020

Post by zap »

Hello, I've been using ABP for many years in Firefox and Safari. It's only in the recent months that I have started to see more and more ads on youtube whether I'm logged in or not, and when I'm not I'm also harassed by the login prompt.
Today I decided that I had enough of these ads, so I searched how to block them...and found zero clear guide on how to do it.
Apparently different people are experiencing different ad behaviours and youtube is adapting its ads to ABP.

Nevertheless those ads are turning me mad and I would like a clear walk-through on how to block them.
I run Safari 12.1.12, ABP A.12.5 with Adblock Warning Removal List and Liste FR+EasyList (minified).
When I click the ABP button it says that 0 ads have been blocked on the youtube page, which does show an ad at the beginning.
I can click on "block element" but I'm not sure what to select exactly.
In Firefox there used to be a way to display all media to block, I don't see that in Safari.
zap

Re: How to block youtube ads in Safari in 2020

Post by zap »

Well thank you for your precious help...

Since I posed I see less video ads and more banner ads. I sucessfully block them but new ones are displayed again. What can I do ?

Code: Select all

||tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/*
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

After Apple dropped support for classic Safari extensions, we had to abandon our existing extension, switch to using Safari's native content blocking (see Adblock Plus 2.0.1 release notes) and migrate any existing users over to that new app (see Adblock Plus 1.12.5 release notes). You can find the latest version of Adblock Plus for Safari in the Apple's App Store.

Therefore I'd strongly recommend updating to a newer version of Safari or switching to a different browser, if possible.
Susan N Kopp

Post by Susan N Kopp »

I never block ads. It is sometimes very useful.
mickblock

Post by mickblock »

On YouTube I also don't block ads. Seems unfair to the creators which invest in equipment to produce the videos. On websites which are full of ads and your just hardly can see the content then yes block, but not on the YouTube creator I support.
zap

Post by zap »

Thank you @greiner it worked just by using AB Plus.

Susan N Kopp and mickblock : I didn't ask people's opinion on what should be blocked so don't pollute my thread with yours.
ihateads_girl

Post by ihateads_girl »

Hi, I also do not block ads on Youtube since I also do think that it is not fair to the creators who put in a lot of work and effort to create something..
I sometimes even find it helpful to see ads popping up because they give hints to other pages or even products that can be useful to me. But this - of course - depends on the page and the amount of ads I'm seeing.
commanderclif

Post by commanderclif »

Susan N Kopp wrote:I never block ads. It is sometimes very useful.
This post gave me all kinds of enjoyment. Laughs and befuddlement all around! I mean Susan took all the time to come to a forum about adblocking to create an account to post the reply that she never blocks ads. HAHA oh this is exactly what I needed today. Quitting early now. (before you say it, I get it, she is referring to YouTube ads vs. other online ads, that wasn't lost on me, its just how it read on the surface that I got a hoot about)
aronw95

Post by aronw95 »

adblocker on youtube works really weirdly. it doesn't completely stop all ads. just a few of them i guess.
zwmann

Post by zwmann »

greiner wrote:After Apple dropped support for classic Safari extensions, we had to abandon our existing extension, switch to using Safari's native content blocking (see Adblock Plus 2.0.1 release notes) and migrate any existing users over to that new app (see Adblock Plus 1.12.5 release notes). You can find the latest version of Adblock Plus for Safari in the Apple's App Store.

Therefore I'd strongly recommend updating to a newer version of Safari or switching to a different browser, if possible.
"switching to a different browser, if possible."

That was what I had to do. My experience in using Sfafri was extremely bad.
True, the browser was quick, the fastest in the town. But it started to suddenly shut down, redirect to Bing (just like described here https://applehelpwriter.com/bing-redirect-virus-mac/), and did not block most of the ads :cry: , even though I was using Adblock Plus. There is an interesting thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251033648 saying basically (user1) 'adblocker not working on safari', and then another user replied that perhaps it was because of a virus. I wonder maybe it was Bing redirect virus and other Safari bugs that caused this problem in my case.
Now I use Panasonic Toughbook and Windows 10, Chrome. Adblock Plus runs flawlessly, very happy :D :D :D