AdBlock Plus Extension Safari cannot be installed

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
jon

AdBlock Plus Extension Safari cannot be installed

Post by jon »

Today I received a notification from Safari: Safari can't install this extension.
Apparently it was trying to update AdBlock Plus to 1.7.4 - I tried downloading the extension manually and installing it - same error.
I had to remove the AdBlock extension before I could install the new version without an error.
Just to let you & others know who might hit that same error. Not sure if it's just a bug with my Mac, but it's the first time it has ever happened with any of my dozen or so extensions in years...
Thanks
Jon
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: AdBlock Plus Extension Safari cannot be installed

Post by MonztA »

Which Safari version do you have and could you post a screenshot of that message?
svaraej

Post by svaraej »

For me AdBlock Plus was able to "update" automatically to 1.7.4.1128. I say update, but it seems more like it's uninstalled the previous version and installed the new version afterwards. The options were all reset. All my filter lists, my own created filters and whitelisted domains disappeared.

But that's something that you have to accept when installing a beta. Wise from other beta experiences I made sure to update AdBlock in Firefox every time I changed something in Safari. Still a bit annoying though.

Practice makes perfect and I all of the sudden it's not a beta anymore!
(The beta version is still better than thegetadblock.com-extension)
snoack

Post by snoack »

Regarding lost settings, with 1.7.4.1128 we changed the way Adblock Plus for Safari stores data like filter lists and settings. And since it is still a beta version, we didn't migrated your old settings, but warned our beta users before on our blog. I am sorry, if this lead to any inconvenience for you.

However if you get an error while installing or updating Adblock Plus, see forum/viewtopic.php?t=22413.