ABP makes my browser slow..

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
duthlimits

ABP makes my browser slow..

Post by duthlimits »

Hi guys,

I really love ABP but its really slowing my Safari down. Does anyone have a solution? For now, i deinstalled ABP until this problem is fixed. Both Dev and stable builds are slowing me down. Sometimes main page of YouTube isn't even loading. With ABP disabled it loads instantly.

Thanks guys.

Specs:
Mavericks 10.9.2
Safari 7.0.2
MBP i7 8gb
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: ABP makes my browser slow..

Post by MonztA »

There is no stable build for Safari yet. Are you sure you used Adblock Plus and not AdBlock?

Which filter lists did you use?
chromafile

Post by chromafile »

I had the same problem but removing all website data solved the problem.
It seems like it's related to #1128 "Use safari.extension.settings instead of localStorage and WebSQL"
EuroClone

Post by EuroClone »

I have the same problem, I had to disable AdBlock Plus because YouTube didn't load and other pages were really slow
snoack

Post by snoack »

Please try to uninstall Adblock Plus, restart Safari, and install Adblock Plus again from the official website.

In case this doesn't help: Which version of Safari are you using? Which filter lists are you using? Which URL have you visited? What precisely is slower on that web page when Adblock Plus is enabled (maybe you can record a screencast)?
Dutchlimits

Post by Dutchlimits »

I used the Dutch filter list and I believe the normal list that comes with ABP? I visited youtube.com as an example, much slower than normal, without abp.

For now, i use Adblock. I'll just wait until abp is out of the beta stage.

Offtopic:
I really hope ABP is able to block video ads in the future, this was the option that i really liked about ABP. I just hate Chrome, Firefox, etc.
snoack

Post by snoack »

Dutchlimits wrote:I used the Dutch filter list and I believe the normal list that comes with ABP?
If you add "EasyList Dutch + EasyList", you should remove the default filter list which is just called "EasyList". The former includes all filters that comes with the latter. So using both filter lists at the same time is redundant and might compromise the performance of Adblock Plus.
Dutchlimits wrote:I visited youtube.com as an example, much slower than normal, without abp.
However even on my Mac Mini and with redundant filter lists, I can't tell a difference in speed on YouTube, when Adblock Plus is enabled/disabled.

So please try following:
1. Make sure that you are using the latest version of Safari (7.0.3 / 6.1.3).
2. Uninstall Adblock Plus (and every other ad blocker you have installed).
3. Restart Safari.
4. Install the latest version of Adblock Plus from the official homepage.
5. Go to the options, remove "EasyList" and add "EasyList Dutch + EasyList".
Dutchlimits wrote: Offtopic:
I really hope ABP is able to block video ads in the future, this was the option that i really liked about ABP. I just hate Chrome, Firefox, etc.
Please read forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20711&p=96749#p96749
Don Ottrack

Post by Don Ottrack »

I have to confirm that ABP consistently makes loading my YouTube home page load very slowly - I have timed it over and over again. With ABP disabled it takes 7 seconds - with ABP enabled it takes 18 seconds.

I have uninstalled ABP and reinstalled from the official location as prescribed.
snoack

Post by snoack »

So is only YouTube slow when you enable Adblock Plus or does it also affect other websites?
Don Ottrack

Post by Don Ottrack »

I just did a quick test on several sites, one of which has YouTube videos embedded, and there seemed to be no noticeable difference in page load time with ABP enabled and disabled.

Post by Guest »

snoack wrote:Please try to uninstall Adblock Plus, restart Safari, and install Adblock Plus again from the official website.

In case this doesn't help: Which version of Safari are you using? Which filter lists are you using? Which URL have you visited? What precisely is slower on that web page when Adblock Plus is enabled (maybe you can record a screencast)?
I tried your suggestion, and it's still slow but a little better, at least for the time being. This is really getting annoying. If I turn AdBlock off the pages load instantly including YouTube. Ever since they added this "new feature" things went south. I never had this problem before. It seem like every time a company makes something "new and improved" it only gets worse. :evil:
jbionic

Post by jbionic »

I had a very similar problem with ABP for Chrome on my Android and decided to switch to Adguard. However this has 1 drawback since Adguard's free version doesn't block adverts in any other applications except web browser.