Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
Flevio

Pause

Post by Flevio »

I just think ABP need a temporary pause comand. That's it. Bye
abakus

Re: Pause

Post by abakus »

What do you mean? Something like "don't block ads in the next 15 minutes"? I don't think that will be useful. You can disable ABP completely and site based. There is no need to Pause it.

greetz,
abakus
snoack

Post by snoack »

He is probably talking about an option to disable Adblock Plus globally from the toolbar icon menu, like we have in Adblock Plus for Firefox. However in Safari you have to go to Preferences -> Extensions in order to disable Adblock Plus completely. But I think that is fine. I don't see any reason to do that on a regular basis. Though I understand that some users might want to disable Adblock Plus on certain websites, either in order to support them by loading their ads, or because the website doesn't work properly when ad blocking is active. That is why we have an option to disable Adblock Plus for for the current website in the toolbar icon menu.
patrick2901

Post by patrick2901 »

This function is, indeed, quite useful. I would adittionally restict it to the currently displayed website (maybe optionally, i.e. 2 functions?).

Reason/example: There are websites which, on the one hand, are nearly impossible to use because of oodles of ads, but on the other hand some functions are disabled if an ad blocker is recognised. So I don't want to disable ABP for such sites completely [to find the content ;) ], but I want to disable it for e.g. 5 minutes to watch an interesting video which is ads supported and only enabled in "ABP off" mode.

Ok, users can do this manually today by 2 clicks, reloading and 2 clicks again after using special functions (if the user doesn't forget it). But it would be much easier and more reliable if this could be done in one menu item. It would be necessary to configure the timespan to disable ABP, but the last setting should be auto saved and restored - so I can repeat the same interval without entering a timespan every time. Manual re-enabling of ABP for that website should be possible at any time.

P.S. A good extension to that function could be an option (checkbox) to re-enable ABP on the next URL click (non-javascript + non-#)