Adblock not blocking youtube ads anymore consistently

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
aishakeys

Adblock not blocking youtube ads anymore consistently

Post by aishakeys »

You guys updated it and fixed the problem a few days ago however the issue is back and ads are coming through
Last edited by aishakeys on Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Re: Safari not blocking youtube ads anymore

Post by mapx »

Did you update ABP ? it was patched today
#1183: 2014-05-13 14:27 +0200 Sebastian Noack
Issue 471 - Patch History.prototype.pushState instead history.pushState in Safari on YouTube
aishakeys

Post by aishakeys »

It seems to be working now however i did update before doing a full restart fixed the problem for me
aishakeys

Post by aishakeys »

actually oddly enough a few small ads are still getting through when the youtube video plays that bar google puts at bottom is not being blocked consistently i just tried a few videos and 2/5 were perfect the rest had that ad banner
aishakeys

Re: Adblock not blocking youtube ads anymore consistently

Post by aishakeys »

yea def not fixed just got a regular ad coming thru at least for me yesterday it was working perfectly
j800r

Post by j800r »

I'm new to ABP for Safari (as my thank you thread makes clear as day) so don't know what the history on YouTube ads has been but for the most part i'm not seeing ads on YouTube AT ALL. However, I did get ONE streaming video add slip through the cracks. Refreshed the vid once or twice and it didn't show again. Couple of vids I got the yellow section in progress bar suggesting an ad but the ad never showed.

To me, YouTube streaming vid ads are the most intrusive of any ads out there and if I could get NO other ads blocked (to support sites or whatever) those are ones I'd want gone.

Not tested ads during autoplay playlists but will note if I find anything there. Of course, that could be part of the limitations of Safari for all I know. From what I've heard it doesn't interface with extensions in quite the same way as Firefox and Chrome (unless that's old news).

**update**

Ok, I have confirmed that playlists on autoplay DO still have streaming ads in them. Every time without fail. The other Adblock extension had this issue too. I'm guessing it's part of Safari's limitations and so (likely due to no fault of the extension) I'm forced back to Firefox for now but I shall be keeping a close eye on Safari and this add-on to see if the issue is ever fixed. Such a disappointment as I watch a lot of playlists like that from time to time. Damn Safari having to be different. I love all it's other differences but the way it apparently handles Flash differently is infuriating. Especially as Firefox is completely ad-free on YouTube.
snoack

Post by snoack »

The only way we can block in-video ads on YouTube in Safari is by modifying the flashvars before the player is loading. But a while ago YouTube became a single page website, which broke our approach. However disabling the history API forces YouTube to initialize each video with flashvars again. Unfortunately, that approach is very fragile. So when YouTube updates their website there is a chance that is breaks blocking of YouTube video ads with Adblock Plus. This happened twice within the past week. YouTube's latest update was addressed with issue 471 and is currently fixed in the devbuild. We will have a release including that fix later today.
Last edited by snoack on Wed May 14, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j800r

Post by j800r »

ahh, so it's just a nightmare keeping up with YouTube's changes. Got it.

If only I weren't so into my HCBailly Final Fantasy Let's Play playlists. :p

**update**

Ok, so ads in playlists on auto play (fullscreen) are still showing with new release. I'm starting to think/realise blocking those is simply impossible in Safari as i've never had that in Chrome or Firefox. Damn Apple and the way they make their browser. -.-
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

@j800r: I could reproduce your last report and filed it at https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/486
snoack

Post by snoack »

Yes, in Firefox and Chrome blocking those ads works completely different. There we can just block the requests initiated by the flash player loading the ads. However that isn't possible with Safari's extension API, so we have mess with YouTube's UI.

I just had a look at the issue with YouTube playlists in fullscreen. And unfortunately you are right, there is nothing we can do here. The problem is that YouTube starts playing the next video, without navigating to the page of that video, while in fullscreen. That makes sense, but also means that the ads for subsequent videos aren't configured with the HTML that initializes the player. Hence we can't remove them.
j800r

Post by j800r »

Ya, I was worried/thought it might be on the browser's end. Well, I may go back to Firefox as my main browser and Safari as backup (Not happy with Chrome as they haven't made it 64-bit).

Such a tremendous disappointment to me as I thought finally having ABP for Safari would fix that issue but I need to stop loving Safari as it's the browser's fault the issue exists in the first place. One day I will find a way for Firefox to look and act identical to Safari and then I won't care.