Safari 8.0.1

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari

Safari 8.0.1

Post by guest »

With the new update coming up, can we expect that the adblock plus extension will be fully functional?

http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/13/apple-saf ... re-update/
Scump

Re: Safari 8.0.1

Post by Scump »

The "Extension compatibility" term is too vague to hope anything.

Safari 7 to Safari 8 -> no improvements
Safari 8.0 to 8.0.1 -> I wouldn't even think about it

Apple might even never (or in a long long time) open/change Safari's API enough. Seems like they don't care about extensions.

See related discussion forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23399
snoack

Post by snoack »

I don't see anything promising in those announcements. Apple asks to test "extension compatibility" with every pre-release. Usually not because they improved the APIs, but because they occasionally break them accidentally. I have the same impression as Scump, that Apple just don't care about extensions.
Scump

Post by Scump »

@snoack I just thought about something amazing! (At least I think so :D )

You said:
Apple asks to test "extension compatibility" with every pre-release. Usually not because they improved the APIs, but because they occasionally break them accidentally
So what if you contact Apple and tell them that with the latest Safari update (8.0.1) they broke Adblock Plus' ability to block XMLHttpRequests this way they'd change Safari's API enough for you guys to finally block in-videos ads and popups am I right? :twisted: *evil laugh*

By the way Safari 8.0.1 is available and yep, nothing about extensions.

But still, they fixed a lot of WebKit issues with this update:

About the security content of Safari 8.0.1, Safari 7.1.1, and Safari 6.2.1
snoack

Post by snoack »

Scump wrote:So what if you contact Apple and tell them that with the latest Safari update (8.0.1) they broke Adblock Plus' ability to block XMLHttpRequests this way they'd change Safari's API enough for you guys to finally block in-videos ads and popups am I right?
Everybody working at Apple smart enough that they could implement something like that, would figure out pretty quickly that this isn't a regression but a feature request. Not that they usually fix minor bugs like that just because it break some extensions. Usually we have to workaround their bugs.
Scump

Post by Scump »

snoack wrote:Everybody working at Apple smart enough that they could implement something like that, would figure out pretty quickly that this isn't a regression but a feature request.
So I'm guessing you guys already made that feature request?
snoack

Post by snoack »

Not that particular one, but quite some others without any success so far. They usually even ignore our bug reports.
Scump

Post by Scump »

snoack wrote:Not that particular one
I'm confused, Safari users ask every update if the new Safari will finally be able to block everything, but if you guys don't even request this feature in the first place we can wait again a very long time, can't we?
Scump

Post by Scump »

@snoack?
snoack

Post by snoack »

Safari users should better ask Apple, not us. There is nothing we can do here, except filing feature requests for Safari that get ignored.
snoack

Post by snoack »

Apple finally attempts to improve content blocking with Safari 9. But it doesn't look too promising so far.