Pop Unders, Redirects and Embedded YouTube videos Questions

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
JackParker

Pop Unders, Redirects and Embedded YouTube videos Questions

Post by JackParker »

Hello! I'm intensely grateful for ABP. I couldn't be without it. I'm new to the forum and have some questions.

1. While reading this forum, I read how you block YouTube ads but that it doesn't work on other videos. Understood. How about websites that embed a YouTube video on them? For example, on the webpage linked below, there's a YouTube video embedded in the article. When I click play, it plays the ad but not the video. The player just goes black. On Firefox, I don't get the ad, but I get the YouTube video. The ad is "powered by waywire.com" Can I block them by adding them in the filter list somehow?
http://www.charismanews.com/culture/464 ... -is-coming

2. I've been going to primewire.com for a long time and didn't used to have problems with ads because of AB and ABP. Recently, however, I am getting redirects, pop-ups and pop-unders like crazy. They've even started opening up in new tabs, which has never happened before. I know ABP can't block pop-ups, but how about pop-unders and redirects? Is there a way to add them to the filter list somehow? I'm not familiar with a lot of the jargon and I'm trying to learn the Adblock Plus Filter Syntax, but I'm struggling. (I have the latest devbuild, per another post I read.) To watch the videos on primewire, you choose a host like thevideo.me, vodlocker.com, bestreams.net, filenuke.com, etc.,

For example, I chose a random film to watch: A Christmas Kiss 2. - https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2755527- ... as-Kiss-II
I clicked on Version 2, thevideo.me. Then I click "Proceed to Video." At this point, I used to be able to click PLAY and it would play without playing the ad. Now, I get a video ad. Was it just luck that I wasn't getting the ad before, since ABP can't block video ads anywhere but YouTube?

Any advice (and patience) is greatly appreciated!
Scump

Re: Pop Unders, Redirects and Embedded YouTube videos Questions

Post by Scump »

I'm intensely grateful for ABP
I am too :wink:
Adblock Plus for Safari is based on Adblock Plus for Chrome and Opera, but has a few limitations, mostly due to limitations of Safari:
Popups can't be blocked.
XMLHttpRequests can't be blocked.
Requests initiated by third-party plugins like Flash can't be blocked. This mostly affects in-video ads (like prerolls), however not those on YouTube, which are blocked in a different way.
- YouTube videos on youtube.com = Ads blocked
- YouTube videos embedded = Ads blocked
- YouTube videos embedded in another player = Can't be blocked by Safari since the ads are requested by a third party player.

So, to answer your question, no you can't add any filter to block the video ad (with Safari), the only thing that you can do is use another browser, I'd recommend Chrome.
I've been going to primewire.com for a long time and didn't used to have problems with ads because of AB and ABP.
Using 2 ad blocker at the same time is not a good idea, you should just keep ABP.
I know ABP can't block pop-ups
ABP can perfectly block popups, but Safari can't.

I tried to access primewire.com but it seems like you have to log in RentPath to access the site.

It look like the primewire.com domain is from another company, and primewire.ag is the good domain for the streaming service.

JackParker

Post by JackParker »

Scump wrote: I am too :wink:
Honestly, I think I'd hate the internet if I had to endure all those ads and commercials. I got rid of my TV over 10 years ago because of the extent of them. (100%, undeniably, the second best decision I ever made!)
So, to answer your question, no you can't add any filter to block the video ad (with Safari), the only thing that you can do is use another browser, I'd recommend Chrome.
So, if I understand this correctly, the video on that page I linked above, is actually a YouTube video that's embedded into another player? I didn't realize that. Frankly, I didn't know that was possible. I thought it was just a YouTube video that was embedded on the site itself. Now I understand why the ad isn't blocked. But, why wouldn't the video play after the ad was blocked? Only the ad played and then the player went black. ???

As far as Chrome goes, I refuse. I hate, loathe, despise and abominate Google and refuse to use them. When they bought YouTube, I was sick about it. I use YouTube more than anything on the internet. It's the only product of theirs that I'm forced to use. I know it forces you to have a G+ account, but I have nothing on it and all settings set to private so it's just a blank page basically. Google is evil and should be destroyed.
Using 2 ad blocker at the same time is not a good idea, you should just keep ABP.
Sorry, that was me be confusing. I meant that I used AB before ABP came along. Only using ABP.
ABP can perfectly block popups, but Safari can't.
Me being confusing again. That's what I meant... I said all that to try to let folks know that I did my homework and read many replies BEFORE posting my problem, so people didn't have to paste that basic response into the comment (as it appears to be in almost every other one!) I just didn't explain that well!
I tried to access primewire.com but it seems like you have to log in RentPath to access the site.
It look like the primewire.com domain is from another company, and primewire.ag is the good domain for the streaming service.
I've never had that first image appear to me before. Not even at friend's houses. I've shown that website (Primewire.ag) to many people on their computers and never had a problem. You actually DON'T have to register with the site to use it. You only have to register with them if you want the ability to comment on films/shows and save some as Favorites or put on a list to Watch Later.

I have no idea why you're getting that screen at all. ??? If you just type http://www.primewire.ag (or .org, or .is) you should reach the homepage and be able to use the site freely. And yes, it's not hosted in the U.S. This site doesn't host the videos, they simply provide links TO the host sites that do.

If anyone else can access primewire.ag and see if I was just getting lucky by not having those ads appear earlier. Like I said, folks in the forums on that site have told me that I can put a link in the filter list to block it ("because that's what they do and it works"), but they don't tell me HOW to do it. All the lingo and jargon is confusing to me. I'm just a guy that uses the web for it's most basic functions and appreciates the genius of everyone else who puts it all together!
Scump

Post by Scump »

So, if I understand this correctly, the video on that page I linked above, is actually a YouTube video that's embedded into another player?
Correct. Here's an exemple of a YouTube video normally embedded.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/15/7397 ... alick-film
But, why wouldn't the video play after the ad was blocked? Only the ad played and then the player went black. ???
Try to clean your browser and/or update Flash, for me the video is playing fine with Safari.

You can use Firefox instead of Chrome it's fine as well.
I've never had that first image appear to me before. Not even at friend's houses. I've shown that website (Primewire.ag) to many people on their computers and never had a problem. You actually DON'T have to register with the site to use it. You only have to register with them if you want the ability to comment on films/shows and save some as Favorites or put on a list to Watch Later.

I have no idea why you're getting that screen at all. ??? If you just type http://www.primewire.ag (or .org, or .is) you should reach the homepage and be able to use the site freely. And yes, it's not hosted in the U.S. This site doesn't host the videos, they simply provide links TO the host sites that do.
You read it too fast, or didn't paid attention to what you posted, on your first post you said:
I've been going to primewire.com for a long time
The mistake is here, as I said if you tried to access primewire.com you're going to see the Google RentPath login, the good domain is primewire.ag, see the difference? .com .ag
If anyone else can access primewire.ag and see if I was just getting lucky by not having those ads appear earlier
My best guess is that they just decided to add ads and that's why you didn't had ads before.

The best solution for all of your problems is for you to simply use Firefox, you won't see a single ad.
JackParker.

Post by JackParker. »

Scump wrote:Correct. Here's an exemple of a YouTube video normally embedded.
Ah, I see the difference. Consider me educated.
Try to clean your browser and/or update Flash, for me the video is playing fine with Safari.
I cleaned the Safari browser. Doesn't Flash update on it's own? I have it set to update automatically and it just updated a couple of days ago, or so...
You can use Firefox instead of Chrome it's fine as well.
In all honesty, I would love to use Firefox as my default browser. I've just had some problems that I can't seem to get fixed. Oddly, the Mozilla Support Forum has been largely unhelpful so my problems have persisted.

Problem 1 - While I'm signed in and watching a video, if I try to rate a comment, a new window opens telling me I have to sign in! What's that about?

Problem 2 - So, I'll sign in... again. Then, when I try to comment on a video, five seconds pass and a window opens that says, ''You have been logged out.''

Problem 3 - If I'm watching a video and try to back out of it, either by using the Back Button or swiping my Magic Mouse, one of three things happens:
A. It will go back, but the audio from the video I was watching still plays until I reload the page.
B. It will only go back to the beginning of the video, not back to the previous page.
C. Nothing. I can't get to the previous page without re-entering the site.

Problem 4 - Buffering is an issue. A video might play for a few moments but then one of the following happens:
A. It plays a few seconds and then buffers a minute or so. And this repeats constantly.
B. Suddenly, in the middle of the video, the entire page just decides to reload for no reason.

I don't have ANY of these problems when I use Safari. But, I want to use Firefox because it's a faster browser.
The mistake is here, as I said if you tried to access primewire.com you're going to see the Google RentPath login, the good domain is primewire.ag, see the difference? .com .ag
I'm really sorry. That's what I get for being in a hurry. Thanks for your kind understanding and patience!
My best guess is that they just decided to add ads and that's why you didn't had ads before.
That's what I figured.
The best solution for all of your problems is for you to simply use Firefox, you won't see a single ad.
That's the dream. I just have to get Firefox problems sorted and that's been an on-going issue for some time. I'm sure the problem lies with me and my lack of understanding, especially in the lingo/jargon department. But, I'm trying. In fact, just today, I used the Reset Firefox feature and am trying to go through and set all of my preferences and Add-Ons up again. Currently trying to figure out NoScript for YouTube.
JackParker

Post by JackParker »

Actually, I think the Reset Firefox feature fixed the main issues I was having that I couldn't get resolved in the past. As for the problems in YouTube, I narrowed it down to a specific extension (YouTube Enhancer Plus) and just deleted it. Now I just have to figure out how to use/optimize NoScript.

Thanks SO MUCH for all of your help and patience, Scump!
Scump

Post by Scump »

Doesn't Flash update on it's own?
It depends, I think the default setting is "Allow Adobe to install updates" but when there's an update you still have to install it manually (at least that's what happens with my Mac).

To be sure, go to System Preferences > Flash Player > Advanced > Check Now.

Uninstall Firefox with a good uninstaller (that'll get ride of the files associated with Firefox that are not deleted when you simply put the Firefox.App in the trash) like AppCleaner then make sure you download the latest version of Firefox from the official source.

Your sign-in problems sounds like Firefox isn't accepting cookies, make sure "Accept cookies from sites" is checked.

Try not to charge too much Add-ons on Firefox, most of the privacy matters can be solved by adding ABP's EasyPrivacy List.
I want to use Firefox because it's a faster browser
Safari should be faster than Firefox, that's the built-in browser aka 100% optimised for your Mac, which is not the case for Firefox.

By the way you could use Onyx to clean your Mac (use only the Automation button)
JackParker

Post by JackParker »

Scump wrote:It depends, I think the default setting is "Allow Adobe to install updates" but when there's an update you still have to install it manually (at least that's what happens with my Mac).

To be sure, go to System Preferences > Flash Player > Advanced > Check Now.
Yup. Mine works that way, too. Just upgraded it a few days ago. It's one thing I learned to update immediately and not put off.
Uninstall Firefox with a good uninstaller (that'll get ride of the files associated with Firefox that are not deleted when you simply put the Firefox.App in the trash) like AppCleaner then make sure you download the latest version of Firefox from the official source.
Good advice. I've always made sure to do that when I had to uninstall Firefox. Thank goodness all I had to do this time was use the Reset Firefox feature, which took just a moment and seems to have solved my problems.
Your sign-in problems sounds like Firefox isn't accepting cookies, make sure "Accept cookies from sites" is checked.
That's what my setting is at. It's not a problem anymore on YouTube, but a couple of other sites are still getting logged out. I'm just going to add them to my exceptions.
Try not to charge too much Add-ons on Firefox, most of the privacy matters can be solved by adding ABP's EasyPrivacy List.
QUESTION: After resetting Firefox, I had to download all of my add-ons agains. I found ABP, AdBlock Edge, and AdBlock AddOn for ABP. Which version do you use?

For Add-ons, I have ABP, Ghostery, WOT, NoScript (not in use yet until I learn how to use it), and NoSquint. I don't use a computer for much except watching online videos, a couple of forums, and keeping up with the news. I don't even use e-mail. (Just a junk account, registered with completely false information, so I can register with sites like this one when I need to.) No Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc., I have no clue what Reddit, Instagram or Pinterest are. People think I'm lying when I say things like that, but, I'm not. I've always lived very simply. I still make my bread and butter from scratch each week and have never owned a microwave. No cell phone, TV, radio, stereo, video games, etc., I like owning very little.

When it comes to the computer, though, I resent corporations (and others) mining my personal information and selling it for their own profit and purposes -- all without permission or payment to me for it. That's why all I pretty much care about is privacy and security on my computer. With all that in mind, any add-ons that you highly recommend? (For Safari or Firefox.)
Safari should be faster than Firefox, that's the built-in browser aka 100% optimised for your Mac, which is not the case for Firefox.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? But, on my iMac, Safari takes time to go from page to page. It's almost instant on Firefox. Go figure. The one thing I HATE about Firefox is the Bookmark system. It's SO inconvenient and ridiculous. What's with the way they designed that? It's great on Safari.
By the way you could use Onyx to clean your Mac (use only the Automation button)
Yeah, I saw Onyx once and, not being the most technologically inclined person, I was too nervous to use it. I'll give it another look tomorrow, though. I'm taking the time to clean-up/optimize my iMac (mid-2007 model) as much as I can before the end of the year. I like having things tidy and efficient.

But, I may, Lord willing, be looking at getting a new iMac with my income tax refund this coming year. I rarely buy anything for myself but I have no clue how much longer Apple will support my current computer. Like I said, it's a mid-2007 model with Maverick on it.
Scump

Post by Scump »

I found ABP, AdBlock Edge, and AdBlock AddOn for ABP
These are not "for ABP".

ABP = Adblock Plus. And ABP is for your web browser.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lock-plus/
I have ABP, Ghostery, WOT, NoScript
You can get rid of Ghostery and simply add the EasyPrivacy List.
You can get rid of WOT and simply add the Malware Domains List.

You can find these lists here.

And if you use your browser as you say (news/forums/videos on usual/trusted websites) you don't need NoScript nor the Malware Domains List.
With all that in mind, any add-ons that you highly recommend?
If you're that obsessed with your privacy, the best thing to do is to use Tor, in simple words it's a modified version of Firefox focused on privacy. You don't have to add any Add-ons or change anything setting, just use it as it is.
Safari takes time to go from page to page
Open Safari, at the top left click on "Safari" and hit "Reset Safari", after that check your Safari Extensions as well.
not being the most technologically inclined person, I was too nervous to use it
Onyx is really simple to use, download it, install it, hit the "Automation" button, and that's it, after that your Mac will restart and feel younger.
I have no clue how much longer Apple will support my current computer
You can Check Your Service and Support Coverage with your Mac's serial number.

By the way an upgrade to Yosemite isn't gonna hurt your Mac :wink:
bubbleair

Post by bubbleair »

I have a siilar problem. Everytime i click on a movie then Any of the links it takes me to a redirect site that then asks me to sign up
for "ultimate movies" there is no way of getting to the video itself. when you press continue it takes you to a page to registar.
this didnt happen last weeks so its relativly new.