ABP is not blocking a certain website

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
br.kho

ABP is not blocking a certain website

Post by br.kho »

ABP fails to block this website: http://www.trescoolgadgets.com/?ref=NV. I had added this website to my filter list in ABP but it still get through. It freezes a live stream I would be watching in full-screen view. So when I press "esc" to come out of full-screen view this website would show up on my screen in full-view along with their trescoolgadets ad.
mapx

Re: ABP is not blocking a certain website

Post by mapx »

provide the original page and describe how to reproduce the issue
br.kho

Post by br.kho »

The website where the ad appears is this: http://www.newsviews.tv/news-video.

To reproduce the issue, go the website I provided and turn on the news live stream, then turn on full-view screen. Then wait. If you notice that the live video stream has frozen (you'll still hear the live audio), try to come out of full-view screen (i.e., press "esc") you should see the ad covering the page. Yesterday, the ad started appearing even when I am not in full-view screen.

Strangely, today the ad has not appeared yet, and I've been watching the live stream for about 30minutes. Usually the ad freezes the live stream within three minutes. Hopefully I won't see the ad again. I was prepared to quit this live stream website and look for it somewhere else; but I'd rather not. Thanks.
mapx

Post by mapx »

add also this filter (to avoid the popup)

Code: Select all

||newsviews.tv/wp-content/plugins/adscript/js/*
br.kho

Post by br.kho »

Thank you mapx. I appreciate your suggesting the additional filter, because the ad I am concerned about is still lurking under another diguise: Today, when the live stream didn't start by itself, I clicked "Play" and the ad popped in a new window in my same browser. I hope that the filter you recommended will do the job. But I have a question about it (and please forgive my ignorance in computer language/programming):
Is it written like this: newsviews.tv/wp-content/plugins/adscript/js/* Or like this: ||newsviews.tv/wp-content/plugins/adscript/js/*
The one you typed has two bars (||) at its beginning. I've never seen that done before, so my guess is that there are no bars, or there is just one bar.
Please advise. Thanks.
mapx

Post by mapx »

yep, it's exactly as I wrote it: with the 2 bars ||

see more about filters:
en/filter-cheatsheet
en/filters
br.kho

Post by br.kho »

O.k. Thanks for all the info and help, mapx.