what is adblockplussafari-1.9.3.safariextz?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
jduesenb

what is adblockplussafari-1.9.3.safariextz?

Post by jduesenb »

I donated $10 and clicked “Install for safari.” A file, adblockplussafari-1.9.3.safariextz was downloaded into my downloads folder. Presumably this is supposed to be installed somewhere. You provide no instructions.

AFAICS, Adblock Plus has not been installed. Pls. advise or send a link to installation instructions.
mapx

Re: what is adblockplussafari-1.9.3.safariextz?

Post by mapx »

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17200?locale=en_US

also:
After the file is downloaded, double-click to install it. A warning prompt will show up asking you to confirm you do indeed want to install the extension. Click Install.

The extension will then be installed and an icon will be placed in your toolbar. Clicking on the icon will reveal stats for ads blocked, as well as link you to the settings section of Adblock Plus.

In the settings you'll find the option to whitelist some sites you don't mind displaying ads, as well as the ability to disable the whitelist Adblock Plus has already created. By charging some advertisers, ABP creates a list of advertisers that will still be visible. To disable this list, go to the first page of the Settings section and uncheck the box next to "Allow some non-intrusive advertising."
jduesenb

Post by jduesenb »

Thanks for your reply.

However, when i double-click on adblockplussafari-1.9.3.safariextz, I get an error message:

"Safari can't install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension "Adblock Plus."

I have the latest version of Safari running under just-installed OS X Yosemite.

<<sigh....>> I guess I'll try getting the Chrome extension for AdBlock.
mapx

Post by mapx »

be sure to enable the extensions
see also
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203051
jduesenb

Post by jduesenb »

I did enable the extension. Still nothing happens.

I also installed it in Chrome, and it seems to work fine. The Adblock icon appears on the browser, and reports that it is blocking many ads, etc.

So this must be a Safari problem. This never happened before I installed OS X Yosemite.
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, ABP will work fine in chrome (Safari has plenty of limitations which does not permit to block all the ads)
jduesenb

Post by jduesenb »

mapx wrote:well, ABP will work fine in chrome (Safari has plenty of limitations which does not permit to block all the ads)
yes, but that's not the point. Safari is my default and preferred browser. I donated some $$ and I expect the developers of ABP to make it work correctly. If they can't make ABP work properly with Safari, they shouldn't even release a Safari plugin. That's false advertising and also very unprofessional. Especially if it used to work and now it's broken in OS X Yosemite.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

What you're presuming is that it doesn't work for anyone using Safari on your version of OS X, and that it's not a problem with your setup.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
gmichal

Post by gmichal »

this does not work for me either. I downloaded the installation extension and enabled extensions on Safari.
Double click BUT nothing is happening after the security message (do you want to install ....)

El Capitan Safari Version 9.0.1 (11601.2.7.2)

not very impressed... to say the least!
mapx

Post by mapx »

probably it's an apple problem

install from the gallery
https://extensions.apple.com/details/?i ... GRYYZR985A

see also
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7254177