AdBlock stopped blocking Spotify ads on Safari

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
Mee

Re: AdBlock stopped blocking Spotify ads on Safari

Post by Mee »

I haven't yet thoroughly read the new link, but what is the part that I need to copy paste? Do I need to copy all those websites? I don't need it for any other website other than Spotify, yet Spotify is not on the list.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Mee wrote:I haven't yet thoroughly read the new link, but what is the part that I need to copy paste? Do I need to copy all those websites? I don't need it for any other website other than Spotify, yet Spotify is not on the list.
There is no copy-pastable stuff there, except maybe the part at the top where it defines a bunch of mappings for localhost, which you should have at the top of your own HOSTS file.

Below that, you should put whatever domain(s) Spotify uses to serve its ads from, and I might bother figuring out what they are so I can give you a list to copy and paste; I mean I know how to fire up Fiddler to look into it (Windows-only, similar network-monitoring tools do exist for Mac), and I do have a free Spotify account already, so it's just a matter of taking the time to do this.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

probably it's easier looking in the blockable items list in ABP for firefox to get the servers
Mee

Post by Mee »

Won't it block the whole Spotify website? I don't know the specific domain of where the ads come from. Well, this is too hard for a noob like me to understand. I gave up. Hope Adblock fixes the bug and I can reinstall an update soon. :|

Tried blocking the element, but it hid the music player and the ad audio still plays. If at least I could mute the sudden loud ads, wouldn't have been as unbearable :roll:
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Mee wrote:Won't it block the whole Spotify website? I don't know the specific domain of where the ads come from.
I got lazy about finding that out, but if, say, the ads are served from the same domain as the Spotify website, then the HOSTS file can't help you; usually ads are served from different subdomains or something like that (an important thing is that putting, say, spotify.com in the HOSTS file won't affect ads.spotify.com or vice-versa, each entry is a single hostname, and not "this domain and all subdomains" and also you can't use wildcards and you can't use this to block bare IP addresses).

EDIT I just tried the Spotify website and although I got no ads, I did see that advertising scripts were being let through, and they appeared to come from the same domain as the music itself: play.spotify.edgekey.net
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Mee

Post by Mee »

Sigh :roll: