ABP Safari / El Capitan / Update Issue Unresolved

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
ABPAus

ABP Safari / El Capitan / Update Issue Unresolved

Post by ABPAus »

Well today I tried to update ABP on Safari. I am running Mac OS X 10.11.4 Beta (15E61b) and Safari Version 9.1 (11601.5.17.1). Now this issue is the same issue I recently advised Karen at ABP about was well. That is when ABP is installed as an extension, and updated versions cannot be installed on top of existing versions. I get an error – Safari cannot install this extension (included screenshot). For example I am currently running ABP 1.10.2 for Safari, however Apple have also removed the update button at the bottom left of the Extensions tab (screenshot included).

So in effect this means I cannot update ABP without first uninstalling the extension, downloading the latest version and then installing it. Unfortunately, this has one major drawback and that is the ad counter is reset. I was originally up to 300,000 ads and blockers tracked, but due to this update problem for the existing version of ABP, this again reset my ad counter. This means currently I cannot update again as this will also occur again.

I admit I am no expert at writing software, however I am a beta tester for the largest company’s in the world, which makes me wonder why this issue is so hard to resolve – it seems quite simple to fix. I do know Mac OS X 10.10 did have the Update button at the bottom left corner of the Extensions dialog box, but it has not been there since.

I have uploaded two screenshots here

smed79

Re: ABP Safari / El Capitan / Update Issue Unresolved

Post by smed79 »

Hi,
- try disable the extensions you have and try again.
- restart in safe mode (PH22046 / PH21875) > opene safari and try again.
s2s

Post by s2s »

same error, can't install 1.11 on top of 1.10.2. OS X 10.11.3
disabled extension and tried to install, same error
reboot Mac to safe mode? not interested on this.

shall I wait for a fix or, I have to uninstall 1.10.2 first with losing the counter?
mapx

Post by mapx »

see if works also for safari:
forum/viewtopic.php?p=108066#p108066
nehocblum

Post by nehocblum »

Is there an uninstall for Adblock?
My Safari is freezing to often I want to get rid of Adblock and other misc .It seems there is noway to close adblock and trash it
smed79

Post by smed79 »

nehocblum wrote:Is there an uninstall for Adblock?
Adblock or Adblock Plus ?
see → http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wikihow.com+how+to ... rowser&l=1