Adblock Plus 1.12 on Safari 7.0.3 causes increased CPU usage

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
Clint

Adblock Plus 1.12 on Safari 7.0.3 causes increased CPU usage

Post by Clint »

Hi,

My browser automatically updated to ABP 1.12 a couple of days ago, and since then, certain web pages have caused their Safari threads to max out my CPU usage. mentalfloss.com seems to be one site that causes this.

When I load mentalfloss.com running ABP 1.12, the page loads, but then a second or two later CPU usage for that thread hits 100% and that window becomes unresponsive.

When I disabled ABP 1.12 and load mentalfloss.com, the page loads and Safari behaves normally.

When I remove ABP 1.12, install 1.11, and load mentalfloss.com, the page loads and Safari behaves normally.

I'm running OS X 10.9.2.
mapx

Re: Adblock Plus 1.12 on Safari 7.0.3 causes increased CPU usage

Post by mapx »

Are you using the same filter lists in 1.11 and 1.12 ? Which ones ?
Did you try that site in another browser ? chrome / firefox ?

If it's only a safari +1.12 issue file an issue on the bug tracker providing all the necessary info:
https://issues.adblockplus.org
Clint

Post by Clint »

I'm using the same filters, as far as I know. I'm not super familiar with Safari, but I don't see any ABP options, so I don't think I can change any of the filter lists.

I'm using Safari mostly because both Firefox and Chrome tend to crash this machine within a minute of loading. I'll save everything I'm working on and report back on Firefox once my computer finishes rebooting.
mapx

Post by mapx »

to see the lists:
click ABP icon, options, "filter lists" tab
for custom filters see "add your own filters" tab
Clint

Post by Clint »

I'm using the default EasyList with 1.11, but since I had to delete ABP to install the older version, I have no idea what I was using earlier. I'll try going back to 1.12 with just EasyList and see if that still causes problems.

Firefox loads pages just fine and doesn't max out CPU usage. I can't test Chrome on this account, as it will kill my system before it finishes loading all the tabs. I can try with a different account later.
Clint

Post by Clint »

Okay, I've moved back to 1.12 and everything seems okay. I don't know if there was another filter list or a custom filter that was not playing nice with some sites, or if there was some problem with updating ABP earlier.