Blocking Ads in Video

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
brunadlj

Blocking Ads in Video

Post by brunadlj »

My apologies if I am not posting this issue correctly.

I view various videos. Some have "intro" ads - that is ads that play before the video starts. That is fine and I had understood that ABP can't block those.

However, just recently (since about 14 Oct), various videos on a site I use won't play properly. Sometimes no visual, only audio, more consistently randomly jumping from the video I clicked on to some random one that I didn't click on which will play instead.

Disabling ABP in Safari makes the videos play properly again (and I see the intro ads).

Is blocking ads inside videos a new feature of a new version? If yes, can I back up to the one that was working properly for my video viewing? Can I allow intro video ads when viewing videos on a specific site?

Many thanks!
mapx

Re: Blocking Ads in Video

Post by mapx »

which is the site ? provide an example (video) page
brunadlj

Post by brunadlj »

Thank you.

The site I am having problems with is Morningstar.com.

Try:
http://news.morningstar.com/Cover/video ... ?id=775026
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you check your custom filters ? If - by chance - there are custom filters for the site remove them, otherwise I tested in firefox / chrome no issue here.
You should change browser, stick with chrome for example, safari has serious limitations about the webrequest API (used for adblocking)
brunadlj

Post by brunadlj »

Thank you for checking.

I don't have any user defined filters and am only using the ABP Easy List "standard filter." Should I delete the latter?

I find the same symptom using the same site on my husband's MAC which has a different version of the Mac OS. But also ABP.

I don't have this video problem on the bbc.com - the ads play first and then the video plays "normally."

I tried ABP with Firefox (yes I guess I should use Chrome) and the same Morningstar video plays without problem but ABP has deleted in intro ad. Better results than Safari.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Well, could be a specific safari issue. However, don't remove easylist (ABP without lists does not work or could work but you have to create your own filters for the sites you usually visit).