ABP blocks its own settings page with *adblock* filter

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
petruc

ABP blocks its own settings page with *adblock* filter

Post by petruc »

Hello guys.

I apologize for starting a new topic in case this was already discussed before, but I could not find information about that specific situation at the forum. If there's a better place for this post, please let me know.

In an angry and naïve whim to remove a "disable your adblocker to see our site" curtain, I added

Code: Select all

*adblock*
as a custom filter (it was present in the name of the opaque full-page DIV and various related HTML elements).

(I know and use Adblock Warning Removal List, but it doesn't cover many sites; that's why I tried to manually add a filter.)

But the side effect was, AdBlock Plus started blocking its own Options Page in Safari... And no UI option to "Disable in ths site".

Realising the mistake, I reseted ABP by removing and reinstalled it, and looked into the issue.

The Safari developer pane shows the internal URL-schema for safari extensions settings pages, which is hidden in the UI. It's

safari-extension://
and ABP settings page begins with

safari-extension://org.adblockplus.adblockplussafari-
So I tested the following, and it worked. Blocked everything "adblock" while still safeguarding the ADP options page.

@@|safari-extension://*^$document
@@||org.adblockplus.adblockplussafari-*
*adblock*
Of course, I'm not using *adblock* anymore since it gives a ton of false-positives. Just tested it with the site in question and the ABP Settings Page.

Therefore, I would like to suggest the addition of these exception filters or a better one by the developers of the Safari version of ADP as a built-in hidden filter list, so that a noob user like me isn't allowed to break ABP's functionality itself. :P

All the best and thank you for your excellent work!

petruc
ABP Safari 1.12.4 (native Safari content blocking disabled)
Safari 10.1.1 on macOS 10.12.5
mapx

Re: ABP blocks its own settings page with *adblock* filter

Post by mapx »

I cannot reproduce the issue in ABP for chrome (I cannot test in safari)

You should report the issue on the bug tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org
petruc

Re: ABP blocks its own settings page with *adblock* filter

Post by petruc »

Thank you mapx, will do.

Edit: Done: https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/5669#ticket
Thank you again.