CBS detecting ABP

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
Buran

Re: CBS detecting ABP

Post by Buran »

Turned off all of my filters/subs. Created a new custom filter group and added only that filter to it.

It still does not work.

I do have Ghostery, which is blocking the following on cbs.com:

Conviva, DoubleClick, Facebook Connect, Google+, LiveFyre, NetRatings, ScoreCard, Tealium, and Twitter.

I can get the movie to play if I disable Ghostery, but I don't want to let everything in. Which Ghostery-detected trackers should I allow through for CBS (only)?
mapx

Post by mapx »

So: ABP is working well adding the filter I indicated
Your problem is ghostery. Anyway you could remove it (ghostery) and add these lists:
easyprivacy, Fanboy's Social Blocking List
from en/subscriptions

If you turn off all the lists you can also remove ABP: it's useless.

as you can see from my exception:
@@||pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?*rule*$object-subrequest,domain=cbs.com

which one could be that to be removed from ghostery ? :roll:
Buran

Post by Buran »

True enough. I'll start there when I get home.
kgm4714

Post by kgm4714 »

I've been running into the same problem. Earlier tonight I was seeing the screen that was grabbed and posted earlier in this thread demanding I disable my ad blocker before CBS would show me the video. Reading through this thread, I noticed a newer ABP was available. I had to delete the old 1.8.11 extension before I could install the new one; but that's done and I'm now running 1.9.1 in a Chromium-based browser. I subscribed to Adblock Warning Removal List, Fanboy's Social Blocking List, and EasyPrivacy+EasyList. I even installed the filters:

||2mdn.net^$domain=cbs.com
||youtube.com/yva_video?*$domain=cbs.com
@@||googlesyndication.com^$image,domain=cbs.com

as also found in this thread. And right now, the best I can get is an endless loop of waiting (animated partial circle going round and round and...). I don't get the video at all.

URL in question: http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_right/video/

Any idea of what apparently I've done wrong?

Thank you.
mapx

Post by mapx »

use only this filter (remove all other custom filters for cbs)

Code: Select all

still in trouble ?
kgm4714

Post by kgm4714 »

Yes. While I don't get the intrusive panel previously referenced, I still get the rotating wait signal and no video.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Just tested in chrome, it's working fine here, using the filter above (+ easylist, easyprivacy, social list)

Be sure to remove / disable all other blocking extensions (disconnect, ghostery, other blocking crap).
You could disable all other extensions, keep only ABP, test again.
kgm4714

Post by kgm4714 »

How long did it take to start playing? And ABP is the only such program I have running through my browser (Comodo Dragon, to be specific; a Chromium-based browser). I'm not running incognito; I have no similar extensions running. The only other intrusion of which I can think would be my antivirus s/w; but I can't imagine how that would affect the playback. The videos used to run before CBS got greedy. I'm at a loss. The spinning wait icon rolls; then it stops and disappears as though the video is loading/has loaded; then the spinning starts again.
mapx

Post by mapx »

-the stream is playing in 2-3 seconds (even if I am testing thru some vpn as I'm not in USA)
-disable your antivirus just to be sure and test again
-another test:
go to http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/g ... e_portable
"install" chrome portable, ABP and test again (adding the filter above)
kgm4714

Post by kgm4714 »

OK, well, curiously enough, that does allow the video to run, even w/o disabling a/v s/w. Now I guess I have to plow through my extensions in the Chromium browser and disable extensions until I find the one that is screwing the pooch.
MUser

Post by MUser »

Thank you so much. The filter works for me (@@||pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?*rule*$object-subrequest,domain=cbs.com )

Try this if the filter does not work for you:
1. I have no other CBS custom filters
2. I use Ghostery plugin along side ABP to block everything. However this filter won't work unless TWO things are enable in Ghostery: A) Conviva - a video player B) DoubleClick - google's ads. Without enabling both either the player won't show up (so no messages) or you get the red message about "unable to load ad" (only when DoubleClick is blocked). If you enable the two and add the filter, things should work without ads.

If that still does not work then you need to check Adobe Flash Global Storage Settings panel ( http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger03.html ). For some websites (like comedy central, CNN, CBS, etc), the "Allow third-part flash content to ...." must be checked for the flash player to work (when you check the box, make sure to just refresh the page to save your work and then go to CBS and refresh the page too). Allowing third-party flash content means that third party content providers can track you as you move from one website that has flash to another that has flash too (if CNN and CBS use the same content provider, say X, then X can provide CBS with information about you (the so called analytics such as that you might be a female based on articles you browse on CNN etc). So to protect my privacy, I do this:

- book mark the Adobe Global settings website
- keep the box UN-checked at all times, change the storage limit to "None" and check "never ask again" (otherwise, you get message on flash player on some sites).

- before I visit CBS to watch Colbert's show, I just go to this bookmarked Adobe settings page and check the box, refresh it.
- go to CBS and watch the show
- Once I'm done with the show, I go back to adobe page to uncheck the box,
- and then (VERY IMPORTANT) clear the tracking data stored on my machine by CBS/flash: just click on the panel that have a folder icon with green arrow (it's second to last and called "Website Storage Settings") and click "delete all sites".
- Done

Hope that helps.
oh_gee

Post by oh_gee »

mapx wrote:-the stream is playing in 2-3 seconds (even if I am testing thru some vpn as I'm not in USA)
-disable your antivirus just to be sure and test again
-another test:
go to http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/g ... e_portable
"install" chrome portable, ABP and test again (adding the filter above)

is no longer working. any tips for the stubborn CBS?
mapx

Post by mapx »

see if helps:

@@||pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/*preroll$domain=cbs.com
and be sure no other blocking addon / extension is enabled
oh_gee

Post by oh_gee »

mapx wrote:see if helps:

@@||pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/*preroll$domain=cbs.com
and be sure no other blocking addon / extension is enabled
no joy :(
i have no other add ons or extensions on
mapx

Post by mapx »

if you use ABP on firefox submit an issue report, then post here the report link.