How to block Streak, stealth Chrome Gmail plugin

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
GAPM

How to block Streak, stealth Chrome Gmail plugin

Post by GAPM »

Hi,

Recently read about a Gmail plugin that enables someone sending me email to tell whether I opened an email or not, without my knowledge.

See article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/1 ... 74889.html

One of article comments suggested that this plugin could be made non-functional on my side with Adblock Plus. However, the plugin doesn't present anything on my screen that I can detect and click on to add a filter. So, two questions:

- Can that Gmail Chrome plugin be disabled using Adblock Plus? (not sure if Streak works on other browsers)

- How do I add a filter manually when I do not know the structure of the URL (since I can't see it)?

Generally it may be helpful to develop some capability to detect, and add to filters, stealth plugins like this one. I assume there will be more...

Thanks,

GAPM
Capta1nFuture

Re: How to block Streak, stealth Chrome Gmail plugin

Post by Capta1nFuture »

Hi,

The Streak plugin inserts an invisible div element with an image into emails. The URL is: https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/

You need to block this host name or IP address somehow. You may do it in AdBlock, edit the windows hosts file or blacklist it in your router. If you view your emails on multiple devices the latter solution is more convinient.
I've blocked 173.194.70.141, mailfoogae.appspot.com and appspot.com in my router.

Another option is to use Mozilla Thunderbird. By default it doesn't open the tracker image.
GAPM

Post by GAPM »

Hi Capta1nFuture, thanks for your help. Will try your suggestions.
mark321

Post by mark321 »

"Another option is to use Mozilla Thunderbird. By default it doesn't open the tracker image."

I'm using thunderbird, and the sender can see when I'm reading the email, and either my location (from my IP).

How can I protect my privacy???