Chess.com forces adds down my throat

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
veryangry

Chess.com forces adds down my throat

Post by veryangry »

even with adblock plus installed they still appear on the site. They even boast about using adblock plus in their ads!

"You love ads"

"Ads make you grumpy"

and some picture of a ghetto male saying "blocks ads loves chess.com"

they want me to upgrade to premium to remove them..

wtf is this shit

adblock plus please reslove this I rely on your liberty to a unmolested internet
mapx

Re: Chess.com forces adds down my throat

Post by mapx »

Could you post a page link where you are seeing those ads ?

Could you also submit an issue report and then post the report link here (add your extensions / addons to the report) ?
how-to submit the report: en/getting_started#false-positives
ryanorr4life

Post by ryanorr4life »

Hey all,
Funny i should see this! I got bored so I google searched "chess.com adblock" because just yesterday i got banners all over my chess.com pages, exactly as the previous user stated, slamming adblock users for the ads. I refreshed the page thinking maybe it was a one time request, but it wasnt. They were going to keep em until i paid or took ADP away.
I wouldnt mind seeing ads if they werent, in my mind, so offensive. Most of them I would not want my siblings around.
that said, i fortunately got screenshots of that BS to mock it because i blocked those too. let me post them here to show you what i did. Keep in mind that i have both Adblock AND adblock plus and this I believe is using just Adblock. Sorry if that offends anyone on this ADB forum! Still pertaining though i hope this will not be removed.
Attached are snapshots of both the problem and my solution. :)
Basically, block the banners. They dont have the same strings as ads, but you can still blacklist the banners and ive never had a problem since.
Do you guys know how to post the images? I am trying to find out how to do the snapshots stored in my computer but i cant find a way. Apparently they have to be online? I'll keep trying but in the meantime can you guys tell me how?
Good luck all, and chess.com just made sure that im not buying premium! It was an option before but not anymore, i dont like the way they try to guilt trip and annoy us into buying.
ryanorr4life

Post by ryanorr4life »

OK this is the best i could do i apologize.
Btw Im datfreshmandude, look me up! :D I would be happy to friend and play you in some games in 1550 and dropping but i would still love to play!
Getting back on topic this is what i could do through google drive (the easiest and fastest way i could think up)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B14MHN ... sp=sharing

I gotta admit, when i got these (and having not seen ads on here for forever) this scared the living daylights out of me until i realized what these dbags pulled. Well played chess.com.
Now, they're either desperate or stupid or both.
Good luck and let me know with any more questions!
ryanorr4life

Post by ryanorr4life »

One last thought is im using Chrome but i dont think that will make a difference when it comes to how to solve this hell of an annoying problem.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@ryanorr4life, I tested many times, I don't see any add with ABP and easylist enabled.

Please verify your filter lists and be sure you still have easylist enabled (click ABP icon, options, "filter lists" tab)
notabletopostundernameof

Post by notabletopostundernameof »

Hey,
If my version is the same as yours if you click the ABP icon, there will be an option to "Block Element". You click it and then it will ask you to click the element you want to block. :) Let me know when you try that, and hopefully it will have worked
Peace
ryanorr4life(isalreadytaken?)

Post by ryanorr4life(isalreadytaken?) »

Exactly what i did :)
Unless youre running a different version?
And sorry i dont have a filter list or easy list (actually dont know what they are lol)
Do you need me to clarify anything mapx?
terrorist96

Post by terrorist96 »

Do the ads only show up when you're logged in? I just tried to play against the computer and I didn't see any ads. It did require me to run java though.
AdBlock Plus extension;
Chrome 64 bit;
Subscription Lists: EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Malware Domains, Social Blocking, Adblock Warning Removal List, Spam404 and Adware filters.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@ryanorr4life,

first of all remove the other adblock extension.
Keep only adblock plus.
Then, click ABP icon, options, "filter lists" tab.
Do you see some enabled lists ? If no ==> click "add filter subscription" and add at least easylist.
Try again.