problem site

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
akahige

problem site

Post by akahige »

After using the regular old version of Adblock for what seems like forever, I thought I'd try Adblock Plus (and Filterset.G, replacing the set that I had built myself). Mostly that's worked just fine, but I just discovered a page that won't even display:

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/28/mi ... ne_ad.html

I don't know if this is a problem with the filterset, with ABP, or if the site has a way of sniffing for ad suppression and changing things around -- but I figured someone might want to have a look.
g

Post by g »

Turn off Site Blocking.
akahige

Post by akahige »

It's not on.

If it helps, the only options that are turned on are:
Collapse Blocked Elements
Check Parent Links
Keep Filters Sorted
mcm

Post by mcm »

The problem is that "_ad." in the URL would be picked up by commonly used filters and block the article contained in DIV sections. The only solution is to add:

@@microsoft_genuine_ad
akahige

Post by akahige »

Thanks for the heads up!

Does this count as one of G's false positives? Is there a way to tweak the filter, or is it not worth messing with?
g

Post by g »

Yes and no. I don't support the DIV blocking feature of Adblock Plus, since it messes up quite a bit, and there's no indication that it will be in 0.6. I've added whitelist filters to fix the biggest DIV problems, but this is a page-specific issue that cannot be fixed generically.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Is a website about ad blocking being spammed with advertisements ironic?