Can't block/remove these

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
iamme99

Can't block/remove these

Post by iamme99 »

Look at this image:
http://www.fototime.com/D0CA5B739D14EE4/orig.gif

What are all those little grey page icon things with the pink & blue all over the place? And can ABP get rid of them or are they something I shouldn't be trying to block? Why are they littered all over the place on eBay?

When I use the right click menu on them and click on Adblock Image, they all show up as http://127.0.0.1:1049/bug.cgi. I tried blocking this but they still don't go away.

These are also listed under NoScript and I am blocking them there. Are they some sort of script?

btw: What's a DIV?
mcm

Post by mcm »

No, those are place holders for images that haven't loaded. I'm not sure why you are getting those because at that site I'm not. Does reloading the page help?

DIVs are HTML tags used to identify a section of the web page to allow you to do things like position it on screen. These are useful to Adblock because a number of ads like text based ads are often put into such blocks allowing them to be removed. For example take this site. Notice the ad under the author's mug shot. Or even the banner ad at the top about a monthly online pass. Well they are both located in DIV sections and this filter removes them both:

/#DIV.*(dynamic|text)ad/
iamme99

Figured it out

Post by iamme99 »

I had "Disable web bugs" turned on in Zone Alarm Pro privacy settings. That was what caused all that blocking. Probably because they were named "bug.cgi". I think they were just some kind of place holder.

I didn't see any ads at the link you gave, I guess I am already blocking them, though I wasn't using the regular expression you offered. So I added that to my filters anyway and will see what happens.

Thanks.
mcm

Post by mcm »

Thanks for the update. Hopefully that will help others too.

Here's a screenshot of the ads in my example for what it's worth: