hulu

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
rick752

Post by rick752 »

It all depends what it is being block with. The EasyList is not blocking them so you must be using another subscription besides mine.

For the time being, I feel the same way as you. I would rather see a very short ad than a longer delay without one. Until I have some more time, I have left it at that.

The block I posted for the previous poster may also work as an exception rule in your case for whoever's subscription you are using.. try it:

Code: Select all

@@.lightningcast.net/servlets/getPlaylist?*AdModel*hulu
Pneumatic

Post by Pneumatic »

Are all ads 15 seconds? I thought many were 30 seconds anyway...
rick752

Post by rick752 »

From what I remember, the first ad is like 7 seconds long. Then most of the others are 15 seconds long. I think I remember one of the breaks that was 30 seconds long depending on what show you were watching,

With the ads blocked, EVERY break is 30 seconds long.
Pneumatic

confirm that

Post by Pneumatic »

Yeah, I've been watching The Office, alternating between ads blocked and unblocked. I see a 6-7 second intro "brought to you by" ad, then ads in the show are typically 15 seconds. One episode, all the ads were inexplicably 30 seconds long (but I think the breaks were less frequent). With ads blocked, every break is 30 seconds.

Hulu users could just leave ads enabled, but use a short Autoit macro to mute and darken their machine for the duration of the ads, that'd be just like blocking but make some breaks shorter. Or maybe you could queue up some random videos from youtube. (Er, that might be worse than ads... damn vlogging.)

Here's another possible sloppy workaround:

I've noticed that you can watch two videos on hulu at once. A more complicated solution would be to queue up the same video in two different tabs, then have whichever stream is not being watched jump past the next commercial break, then automatically pause. When the commercial comes on, jump to that stream and play it, letting the other commercial play in the background stream. When that commercial finishes, that first stream jumps past the next commercial and waits to take over.
Innomen

Broken.

Post by Innomen »

Adblock won't halt the commercials now. Just FYI. First one blocks(silence gap), the rest play normally.
rick752

Re: Broken.

Post by rick752 »

Innomen wrote:Adblock won't halt the commercials now.
It will ... but it can't stop the time from passing. The breaks are also longer if you block the ads. I take it that you didn't read the posts?
L

Post by L »

It has something to do with "t.hulu"

I remember futzing around with it when it was still giving the "Turn off Ad-blocking" message, and that was the main culprit by trial-&-error along with the lighteningcast ones.

I noticed that there's a reference somewhere in the Banner Ads that makes the commercials sync up with the products.

Ie - if you see the Hershey's Banner Ad on screen, then the Commercial will be for Hershey's candy, etc. By Blocking the Banner ad, you make the Banner Image disappear or not load, and the commercial (when checking for Banners Loaded for that particular #) return the "Turn Off Ad-Blocker's" message. That was when they were still using that message, and you could trial-&-error the website things in AdBlock. So that's the one to look at, guys. Lighteningcast works with the ads, but its t.hulu which really does the tattling that ads haven't loaded, or have been disabled. At least I think that's what it is.

That was, of course, a long time ago when it still gave out those messages. Now that they've stopped telling you (by trial and error) which ones give you the black screen, I suppose it would be much harder to discern which element was at fault.
Also - if you have the element finder - you can use "Open Blockable Items" to find a tiny pixel-sized "t.hulu" right below the "terms of service" etc stubs on Veoh.com's Ad-based movies. You could NEVER find that sucker just by looking around in the "Select Element to Hide" red cursors. Vewy wascally wabbits, these ones.

So, once again proving if you have a Hulu based webplayer with ads, you'll find the t.hulu NEEDS to be somewhere on-screen on the webpage hosting it.

I kinda lost sight of working around this when I got back into college , and dropped the whole thing. I've left it to this forum now. (But it was a neat project, I'll say!) Anyways, that's all I know on the subject. Have fun in searching for this stuff - me? I think I'll have a cup of tea, and kick back & read instead of watching TV.
iii!

Movie trailers

Post by iii! »

When playing a movie trailer on Hulu, if Adblock Plus is enabled, it shows a message for 30 seconds telling you to "disable your ad blocking software". If Adblock Plus is disabled, it only shows a 5-second sponsorship announcement ("Sprint is a proud sponsor of movie trailers on Hulu.") I successfully disabled Adblock Plus on only movie trailer pages by using the filter

Code: Select all

@@|http://www.hulu.com/watch/*movie-trailers*
Oddly, this seems to generate more than a hundred hits with each viewing of a trailer.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Update the EasyList and try again :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
edjolanski

Post by edjolanski »

Now Hulu works without disabling ABP (EasyList), but we still get all the ads. Have we finally given up and conceded defeat? Or simply accepted that it will require more advanced programming than ABP filters?
Wisdom Fluxion

Post by Wisdom Fluxion »

cxseven wrote:My guess is the message is built into the viewer .swf. One way to get around it would be to maybe substitute the old viewer for the new one
Perhaps something like this:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25620

8)

rick752 wrote:
Innomen wrote:Adblock won't halt the commercials now.
It will ... but it can't stop the time from passing.
No GreaseMonkey / Platypus brains in here? There's bound to be something better than http://userscripts.org/scripts/review/19701
Quentin MacLeod

Post by Quentin MacLeod »

It's not free but Ad Muncher is the only tool I've found that actually blocks the ads on hulu.com without increasing the time. Ads during the show take 2 seconds only. it's awesome. :D
edjolanski

Post by edjolanski »

Quentin MacLeod wrote:It's not free but Ad Muncher is the only tool I've found that actually blocks the ads on hulu.com without increasing the time. Ads during the show take 2 seconds only. it's awesome. :D
It's also proprietary and Windows-only. That's not much of a solution, but maybe we can figure out what they are doing and replicate it.
muncher reality check

Post by muncher reality check »

http://www.admuncher.com/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=3798
does not block the 12 second wait time
huluwatcher

Post by huluwatcher »

the situation with hulu has just gotten worse. now, instead of the 30 second black screen,it's back to regular ads. i was much happier with the generic message than seeing annoying ads for a honda i'll never buy. is there anything that can be done about this?
Don't watch hulu. People trying to pirate hulu is going to ruin the first good solid shot at a real internet network with good programming. When they're swimming in money and making commercials longer than they need to be, then pirate it. For now let them get the F*** off the ground.