hulu

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
so the thing is

Re: hulu

Post by so the thing is »

I figured out how to skip the ads and the 30-second notice, but there is an easy change hulu could make that would break the trick. It's been working for a few months now. If I post it, I'm sure it'll stop working. I guess that means I just shouldn't have said anything?
bob

Post by bob »

Today my Hulu ads kicked back in. =(

Anyone have updated filters or directions?
Popinjay

Re:

Post by Popinjay »

Floppie wrote:Here's a thought, don't. They give you free stuff by inserting minimal advertisements. If everyone blocked those ads, they wouldn't get paid and you wouldn't get your free videos. Just put up with it.

It's one thing to block annoying pop-ups and pop-unders and noisy/obstructive flash ads. It's another to do everything you can to not be subjected to the advertisements that fund whatever site you enjoy using.
If it is morally wrong to block and advertisement, then it would stand to reason that it is morally wrong to ignore the advertisement or leave the room during it as well. If you are serious about saying you have an obligation to watch it then you would have to find ignoring it or leaving during it morally objectionable as well. On the other hand, if there is no duty to watch the commercials, then there is nothing wrong with blocking them either.

Prirats and ad blocks work as a market force that keeps companies in check when they go to far. Companies claim that piracy raises prices, but in mediums where piracy is not nearly as serious a problem (such as x box games) the games are even more expensive. Why? Because they know their prices will not push as many people into pirating the game. The same thing goes for commercials. Nobody cared to block them when they were rare. But now they actually interfere with the broadcast, and some are extremely annoying or depressing and so people care enough to find ways to block it. Hulu tried to bait and switch its users--going from commercial free to some commercials to near constant commercial breaks. People are finding ways to block ads now because it has become too much. Hulu could reduce their commercials to prevent this, but they probably wont--so more power to those who are developing work-arounds!
mhale87

Post by mhale87 »

Even though a very short time ago, I would have completely disagreed with anyone wanting to block ads on Hulu, that time has came and went.

At one time, I felt that the service Hulu was providing was well worth the few short ads. And I still feel the service Hulu provides is great! However, because of the constantly increasing length and frequency of ads, AND the content of those ads (as a previous user stated, sometimes depressing and anoying), I no longer feel obligated to defend them.

The same once applied to Cable and satellite TV. At one time, ads were not that bad. But they have become so extremely bad, that users are pulling the plug on their cable & satellite and switching to services like Hulu. I can't believe just a few months ago I was paying $80/month for DirecTV, only to have DirecTV and every channel on it making BILLIONS $$$ of dollars off showing me non-stop ads, even ON TOP of the crazy $80/month they were charging me for basic television.

The internet is doing us all a great thing! It's enabled people all over the world to connect, and stand up against these monopolizing corporate entites that think they can own us, and do with us what they please.

We are not stupid wallet's that you can drain. We are individuals, with minds, and the ability to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Praise Hulu and similar services, but don't go the way of the past. Learn from their mistakes, and listen to each and every user! Feedback isn't an obligation. It's a gift so USE IT WISELY!!

BTW, popinjay, well said!!
mhale87

Post by mhale87 »

Sorry, one more thing. IN-SHOW ADS (those big, REDICULOUS ads that pop up from the bottom of the screen, or side, that have been getting bigger, and BIGGER), are..a slap in the FACE, to their viewers, and to the artists and producers who created the show. HOW DARE YOU! You already pump enough ads in between segments to make viewers almost forget what the show was even about, and now you think you have the right to distract from the show further by putting IN-SHOW ads!???!!? WTF!!!!!?!!!

Do you REALLY expect users to feel bad about piracy ? ARE YOU SERIOUS???

I watched a documentary last night called "ART & COPY". It was on Netflix instant watch. It was all about advertising. And some of the top advertising creators in the world commented on how truly disturbing the majority of ads are today. How advertising companies treat viewers as dumb idiots who just need to be told what to buy. They were proud of the good adveritising they had done, and extremely disappointed with the bad.

It was really good and I highly recommend it! :)
Yan

Post by Yan »

I hate the ads on Hulu. I registered in order to be notified on news about this. Meanwhile, I will vote with my wallet and not buy anything I see advertised on Hulu alongside pharma ads which offend me greatly. What an unfunny joke it is for companies to manipulate us and pretend to be socially responsible by being "green", for example, and yet advertise next to pharmaceutical ads aimed at doing away with medical science and turning the whole medical industry into marketing science. Not to get on a rant, but all this attention to health care reform (which I'm also guilty of) isn't even in our interest, as real medical care is so hard to find that it seems non-existent.
roshambo

Post by roshambo »

While videos are playing there's sometimes a clickable picture ad below the search box with easylist and fanboys. It can be blocked with

Code: Select all

hulu.com##DIV#banner-ad-container
Michael

Post by Michael »

Added to EasyList (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/7958ef64c2be)

Code: Select all

###banner-ad-container
laryan123

Post by laryan123 »

I didn't mind hulu ads until they began to pump up the volume to unbelievable levels. So I searched and found filters for hulu ads that have been mentioned in some of these discussions. Until today July 1, those filters worked very well. They even blocked the 30 second messages saying that hulu can't load a message from their sponsors and I was able to view entire episodes without any interruptions. However, today I am getting the 30 second message again, but the ads are still blocked. Not sure if this has to do with Hulu's website or the updates to Firefox I've seen lately. Has anyone else had problems with their hulu filters no longer working? Does anyone have a filter that will get rid of the message window? Thanks in advance.
bobhi123

Post by bobhi123 »

HI,

Somehow, I am able to block the hulu ads, but I see the 30 second hulu "ads not working" screen every time where an ad is supposed to be. Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of those 30 second things? Thanks
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

yes to stop the 30 sec black screen, remove the ad blocking program, or you can have 30 seconds of silence, which is what I prefer than the damn loud ads. be happy with the 30seconds of rest, some sites will refuse to play content unless you unblock the ads.

looks like hulu has more new ad servers as the silence is no more. :(

until the ad volumizer hulu has is working I prefer the 30seconds of silence.

bobhi123 wrote:HI,

Somehow, I am able to block the hulu ads, but I see the 30 second hulu "ads not working" screen every time where an ad is supposed to be. Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of those 30 second things? Thanks
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

ok, the ad blocks I currently have for hulu is

ads.hulu.com
.lightningcast.net/servlets/getPlaylist?*AdModel*hulu
http://www.adtology*
http://*.lightningcast.com/*
.hulu.com/*revenue/
http://tw.i.hulu.com/

it was working last week. must be a new server
dan M

Post by dan M »

ok, when I click on the banner it used to open a new window go to lightningcast then display the ad. now it opens up a new window goes to my hard drive the url listed is

jar:file:///C:/Documents and Settings/PC/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/3d0wbtp1.default/extensions/{7b13ec3e-999a-4b70-b9cb-2617b8323822}/chrome/zynga.jar!/content/aboutTabs.htm

then displays the relevant ad. as I understand a jar is java applet ??? any ideas if abp is able defend against this ?
xbm45

Re:

Post by xbm45 »

Floppie wrote:Here's a thought, don't. They give you free stuff by inserting minimal advertisements. If everyone blocked those ads, they wouldn't get paid and you wouldn't get your free videos. Just put up with it.

It's one thing to block annoying pop-ups and pop-unders and noisy/obstructive flash ads. It's another to do everything you can to not be subjected to the advertisements that fund whatever site you enjoy using.
Here's a thought: many of the people on this forum believe in ad blocking because they believe all advertising to be unwanted propaganda manifesting as noise.

If a person has already resolved to avoid the siren song of paid propaganda and the completely irrational action chain of view->click->buy, then why should they waste precious time and bandwidth listening to irritating and dishonest content try and cajole them into a modified course of behavior, all the while they lose their privacy to a literally innumerable number of beacons, pings, and callbacks?

I'm not lost revenue to the system because I've already refused to be somebody's "conversion."

Our computers belong to us, not to advertisers. If we choose to instruct them not to queue up pollution using our bandwidth, our hardware, and our electricity, then why should our choices affecting our property not be honored?