hulu

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
NamesDontMatter

Re: hulu

Post by NamesDontMatter »

Ok so here is an easy fix, download Peerblock 1.0 and get Ads,bogon,p2p,spyware,badpeers and primary threats from list.iblocklist.com. You'll get the 30 sec black screen but you won't have to worry about adblock working one week then stoping the next.

Basicly it blocks Hulu, LLC and A.C Nielsen Company..

Now if someone can help block the black screen.....
Thor

Post by Thor »

Ad Muncher is the only product that can block the actual ad breaks as well as the ads and all of the tracking.
hught78

Post by hught78 »

I've added a bunch of the links listed in this thread and now every Hulu video gives me the same black screen message, "Sorry this video is currently unavailable..." Anyone seeing the same thing and know how to fix it?

Also, is there a filter subscription available specially for Hulu?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

See http://adblockplus.org/en/getting_start ... -positives

I would start by removing any user created rules and pick one subscription and stick with it. Rules can be added if the filter author knows of your problem.

No subscriptions exist just for hulu.
asdf

Post by asdf »

@mud

Code: Select all

@@||hulu.com$~document
kfed

Re: Re:

Post by kfed »

xbm45 wrote:
Floppie wrote:Here's a thought, don't. They give you free stuff by inserting minimal advertisements. If everyone blocked those ads, they wouldn't get paid and you wouldn't get your free videos. Just put up with it.

It's one thing to block annoying pop-ups and pop-unders and noisy/obstructive flash ads. It's another to do everything you can to not be subjected to the advertisements that fund whatever site you enjoy using.
Here's a thought: many of the people on this forum believe in ad blocking because they believe all advertising to be unwanted propaganda manifesting as noise.

If a person has already resolved to avoid the siren song of paid propaganda and the completely irrational action chain of view->click->buy, then why should they waste precious time and bandwidth listening to irritating and dishonest content try and cajole them into a modified course of behavior, all the while they lose their privacy to a literally innumerable number of beacons, pings, and callbacks?

I'm not lost revenue to the system because I've already refused to be somebody's "conversion."

Our computers belong to us, not to advertisers. If we choose to instruct them not to queue up pollution using our bandwidth, our hardware, and our electricity, then why should our choices affecting our property not be honored?

LOL OK HIPSTER LOLZ.
neeena

Post by neeena »

Ok everyone... I tried it all and nothing worked...so far admoncher is the only thing that works! I just downloaded a trail version and it works like a charm:) for now...
noithatkientruc

Re: Re:

Post by noithatkientruc »

xbm45 wrote:
Floppie wrote:Here's a thought, don't. They give you free stuff by inserting minimal advertisements. If everyone blocked those ads, they wouldn't get paid and you wouldn't get your free videos. Just put up with it.

It's one thing to block annoying pop-ups and pop-unders and noisy/obstructive flash ads. It's another to do everything you can to not be subjected to the advertisements that fund whatever site you enjoy using.
Here's a thought: many of the people on this forum believe in ad blocking because they believe all advertising to be unwanted propaganda manifesting as noise.

If a person has already resolved to avoid the siren song of paid propaganda and the completely irrational action chain of view->click->buy, then why should they waste precious time and bandwidth listening to irritating and dishonest content try and cajole them into a modified course of behavior, all the while they lose their privacy to a literally innumerable number of beacons, pings, and callbacks?

I'm not lost revenue to the system because I've already refused to be somebody's "conversion."

Our computers belong to us, not to advertisers. If we choose to instruct them not to queue up pollution using our bandwidth, our hardware, and our electricity, then why should our choices affecting our property not be honored?
until the ad volumizer hulu has is working I prefer the 30seconds of silence.
AllAboutHulu

Post by AllAboutHulu »

First, blocking the ads depends on the show you are watching. This is because sponsors are per-show not site-wide. It is therefor not very easy to create or maintain any simple filter to block all ads for Hulu. I am against strongly against this because site-wide commercial catering would actually enable Hulu to provide more users commercials/surveys they will watch and not try to block. But Hulu does not listen and has chosen to make their site more and more obtuse instead so more and more people are fighting them. Sociology 101, Hulu.

Since the sponsors vary per-show you can successfully block ads per-show very easily. This involves blocking the content that the flash player wants to load from the ad servers that particular show is sponsored by. For some shows these are on ads.hulu.com, others are on rewardtv.com and others are on *.com. I have tracked an average of 5 servers per-show (not including tracking).

Tracking is done by assets.huluim.com and track.hulu.com as well as a few other *.hulu.com URLs. Some of these track click-through for advertising purposes and others track what you watch so Hulu can cater shows to you. Without a full knowledge of what Hulu is up to it would not be possible to provide a functional filter without sacrificing Hulu's features.

With all that in mind, there is no reason the community cannot start an Anti-Hulu filter--except that Hulu's big powerful lawyers hunt you down for infringing on their rights. I suggest if you hate the ads you complain to your representatives in government and join demandprogress.org to stop the Internet blacklist and other anti-freedom activities that these corporations are infringing upon your computer--your personal property!

The Internet can and will be used against you,

AllAboutHulu
zonko

Post by zonko »

Basically to get Hulu adds going again I use the Hits counter.
Reset the hits. Run Hulu and then sort the hit list to find where
AdBlock was block. Unchecked and I have hulu commercials again.
ie i unchecked the following.

||ll.a.hulu.com^

I have no problem letting their commercials run. It does save time letting them run.
Just as long as the audio levels behave and Hulu is doing do diligence that the Adds are not
feeding us Virus/Trojans.

I have seen a 'safe' wiki site that had a 3rd party advertiser releasing a virus/trojan. Having
AdBlock helps in these cases.
0rangeJulius

Post by 0rangeJulius »

The blocks suggested work. There isn't a way to get rid of the overlay warning so far as I know. That's probably programmed into the flash player as a catch to fire when the ad stream doesn't load correctly.

As for the ads: Ads suck. Period. Nobody likes them. I personally would rather pay a small fee for NO ads. They don't seem to want to offer that though so you can either let them play or stare at the message.

I'd rather listen for the audio to return than be subliminally fed some jingle. But hey, that's just me.
pypr

Post by pypr »

0rangeJulius wrote:Ads suck. Period. Nobody likes them. I personally would rather pay a small fee for NO ads. They don't seem to want to offer that though so you can either let them play or stare at the message.

I'd rather listen for the audio to return than be subliminally fed some jingle. But hey, that's just me.
Agreed 100%. Who really likes having things "suggested" to them at all hours when they're trying to enjoy a program, would definitely pay a fee, even for an ad-less google experience. It's mind control at it's most basic level. Winston tastes good like a "____". It's sad really.
Found a solution

Post by Found a solution »

This only blocks the long ads but if you add
@@ads.hulu.com/*trimmed*.flv
and
@@||ads.hulu.com/*.swf
to the whitelist, you will have shorter wait times for the long ads.
I do have a modified version that blocks all ads but hulu deserves a few of ads to get through. :roll: Also, I don't want them getting rid of this way of blocking ads like they always do.
phly95

Post by phly95 »

Why don't you just make an option on abp to replace the .flv files on hulu with custom .flv files which can be probably as short as 1 second
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

To change content is not a task for Adblock Plus.