chrome: YouTube hangs for a few seconds after opening

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
dyablor

chrome: YouTube hangs for a few seconds after opening

Post by dyablor »

Hello, I am using the latest Chrome Version 41.0.2272.17 beta-m (64-bit) and AdBlock Plus 1.8.10.
My problem appeared after the last Chrome update.
When you open a new tab with YouTube or in a new window when you first go to YouTube it loads the page instantly but then it hangs for 4-5 seconds, before you can click on anything or you can search for anything.
I tried with ABP disabled on YouTube and the problem disappeared. I don't know if you can reproduce the problem but i think it is a bug in ABP with Chrome 41.
mapx

Re: YouTube hangs (delays) for a few seconds after opening

Post by mapx »

1.delete cookies + cache, re-test
2.still happens ? ==> reset chrome, install ABP (no other extension), re-test
dyablor

Post by dyablor »

OK I did that and in the process I found out that the error only occurs when you are logged in on the YouTube/Google account.
I tested on both my Win 8.1 desktop and on a virtual machine running Win 10 Technical Preview with a fresh installation of Chrome and only ABP add-on running.
Even if you go on YouTube without any previous account logged in, after you log in there is a delay of 4-5 seconds until you can press on anything. It kinda freezes. But if you log out and revisit YouTube. the problem is gone.
Tested on both machines, same problem. Same version of Chrome, same version of ABP.
mapx

Post by mapx »

add this filter, see if that weird behaviour changes

Code: Select all

@@||ad.doubleclick.net/*/adi
dyablor

Post by dyablor »

Same behavior.
NoKnock

Post by NoKnock »

Similar issue here, using Chrome Canary Version 42.0.2290.4 canary (64-bit) with Adblock Plus 1.8.10

Every Youtube page freezes for 5-10 seconds, and occasionally the "He's dead, Jim!" message pops up. The issue is resolved when ABP is disabled. This is the only extension that causes the issue (other than Youtube Center, which is disabled for the time being). It has been happening for a couple weeks, but since Youtube rolled out its permanent HTML5 support this week, I've been getting the Jim message quite a bit more frequently, despite having already been using HTML5 as the default player for several months.

As soon as a Youtube link is loaded, the entire page freezes and nothing below the bookmarks bar is clickable. The cursor is locked to whatever state it was before the freeze, such as the index finger hand if I so happened to be moused over a clickable link before the freeze occurred. Upon trying to exit the tab, it will hang for a second before closing completely.
NoKnock

Post by NoKnock »

NoKnock wrote:...
I suppose I should have included I am running on a Windows 8 64-bit OS.
NoKnock

Post by NoKnock »

Upon further testing, the freezing only occurs when a user is signed in to Youtube. I still receive "Aw snap" and "He's dead, Jim" messages, though.

Interestingly enough, Youtube works fine in incognito mode while signed in and with ADP enabled. I have tried clearing cookies, cache, and settings in normal Chrome, but to no avail.
dyablor

Post by dyablor »

NoKnock wrote:Upon further testing, the freezing only occurs when a user is signed in to Youtube. I still receive "Aw snap" and "He's dead, Jim" messages, though.

Interestingly enough, Youtube works fine in incognito mode while signed in and with ADP enabled. I have tried clearing cookies, cache, and settings in normal Chrome, but to no avail.
Yes if you sign out of YouTube or use incognito mode, the problem disappears. You can file an issue on bug tracker and post the link here.
Alexxis

Post by Alexxis »

but common guys this is pretty strange! how come loging out of gmail/google fixes this???!! :shock:

it fixes the problem for me too but this is the weirdest thing, can anyone elaborate more on this please
dyablor

Post by dyablor »

For now I disabled AdBlock on youtube.com in Chrome (anyway i was using it as a secondary browser) and I switched to viewing all YouTube content on Firefox which, by the way, has the AdBlock Plus extension installed and it's working properly.
GeorgeCostanza

Post by GeorgeCostanza »

just started happening to me. youtube used to work perfectly. i havent changed anything, it just started doing this randomly. and yes, when i sign out of youtube it works perfect.
Wat

Post by Wat »

I think Ive found the problem and also the solution boys, at least for me.

Click on the Adblock symbol on the top right in your browser, then click options. From there, uncheck EasyList from Ad Blocking Filter Lists. This fixed the freezing, atleast for me. Too bad I had to inactivate a filter list tho :/
mapx

Post by mapx »

it's not a solution
easylist is the main list, default one, ABP is useless without it
Wat

Post by Wat »

Yeah I realized that shortly after when surfing around, without EasyList the adds are everywhere :(

But since disabling easylist stopped the freezes, maybe the problem atleast has something to do with easylist?