Gamespot.com showing up blank. All pages.

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
HonoredShadow

Gamespot.com showing up blank. All pages.

Post by HonoredShadow »

Like the title says but Gamspot works fine when Adblock is off. Updated each blocker and Firefox. No addons installed as it's a fresh profile.
mapx

Re: Gamespot.com showing up blank. All pages.

Post by mapx »

what filters (subscriptions) are enabled ?
Are you using custom filters for gamespot ?
HonoredShadow

Post by HonoredShadow »

Just the default filters enabled as per install. No custom filters. Never altered anything in any way. Simply installed the add-on and browse.

The only thing I thought I better do before writing on here is to update the default filters, clear cache and reload page.

I have the adblock pop-ups add-on installed too. Sorry. Nothing changed on that at all also.
mapx

Post by mapx »

submit an issue report and then post here the report link
HonoredShadow

Post by HonoredShadow »

Done! Thanks dude.

Only thing is I clicked the button to remove sensitive info or something like that. Will that matter?
mapx

Post by mapx »

where is the report link ? or ... are you saying your issue is gone ? :roll:
hahnchen

Post by hahnchen »

Here's an example page that shows blank. http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/yoshi-s ... 0-6416168/

I also submitted a report.

I fixed it by blocking http://*.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js
tsunami2311

Post by tsunami2311 »

IT was a Easylist sub that was causing it, After I bitched at Gamespot about it told them what filter it was they put "hack" in place to fix it. IT not first time Gamespot has had issue with adblocker and wont be the last time. but as far i can tell it only site the has constant issue with blockers since the last web ui over haul
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Given the prevalence of ad scripts and anti-adblock scripts, its the game you play. When you're stopping scripts and other items loading on the page you do expect some issues to crop up occasionally.
tsunami2311

Post by tsunami2311 »

fix one thing just to the video keep breaking and work and breaking. videos on like on this page dont work http://www.gamespot.com/videos/quick-lo ... 0-6425731/

Winded up having to do a exception

Code: Select all

@@||static2.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*
to get video working who knows how long this will last and that only fixed the video on that page, while others videos on the site work and other did not

so i did the follow code in hopes to fix the videos on general.

Code: Select all

@@||static1.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*
@@||static2.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*
@@||static3.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*
@@||static4.gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?*

IT is ridiculous how often videos get broke on gamespot it like every other update to the liste breaks something or gamespot is inbedding the ad into the video player so if there not there they break and gamespot blame ABP for the problem when it would be problem if Gamespot didnt embed ads in way if there not there videos dont work

I also notice the change to fix the pages from going blank random dont work.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

It's easier (albeit more general) to use this rule instead: @@||gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?

Also, the asterisk is not needed at the beginning or end of a blocking rule, except that a rule that would otherwise begin and end with a forward slash needs an asterisk at the end, so that it won't be interpreted as a regex.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
tsunami2311

Post by tsunami2311 »

lewisje wrote:It's easier (albeit more general) to use this rule instead: @@||gamespot.com/js/compiled/adsDeferredDfp.js?

Also, the asterisk is not needed at the beginning or end of a blocking rule, except that a rule that would otherwise begin and end with a forward slash needs an asterisk at the end, so that it won't be interpreted as a regex.
I give that rule a go for few days and see how it goes, but it does fix videos that dont working, not sure about if it fixes pages going blank seeing that seem to be random broken, * i not sure why they there cause i dont have them those actual rules
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

I had no issues with the video (no whitelist needed). It did play a video ad for squarespace initially and then loaded the Payday 2 video without issue.