Can ABP block Wordpress Plugins from loading?

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
sahilc

Can ABP block Wordpress Plugins from loading?

Post by sahilc »

Suppose a website loaded some kind of plugin (let's say an anti-adblock plugin), how could we get around it? Is there a way to block it from loading?
Gingerbread Man

Re: Can ABP block Wordpress Plugins from loading?

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Please post an example.

Adblock Plus can't block things that are part of the web page, like inline scripts.
sahilc

Post by sahilc »

Here is an example - http://www.gravelbike.com/
Gingerbread Man

You have things backwards: the fact that content is blocked is how the use of an ad blocker is detected. In the above case, the EasyList filter /advertisement. ends up blocking

Code: Select all

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/plugins/ad-blocking-detector/assets/js/advertisement.min.js?ver=4.2.2
If you want to get rid of the “Please consider whitelisting…” message, add the following filter:

###abd_shortcode_widget-2
Alternatively, you can whitelist the aforementioned script:

@@^wp-content/plugins/ad-blocking-detector/$script
sahilc

Post by sahilc »

@Gingerbread Man
Thanks for your reply.

That makes sense - I understand that Adblock blocks elements from loading on the client side(?), and (correct me if I'm wrong) it wouldn't be able to "block" a plugin per se, because it's server side php? But it _can_ block the elements that show up because of that plugin.

re: whitelisting the script - thanks! I'm curious though, how did you find this out? For the anti-ABP message, you can inspect the element and add the corresponding filter. How would you find the script that's loading?

Also, why doesn't someone add what I'm adding to _my_ whitelist to the _general_ EasyList, so that everyone using ABP can benefit? Instead of people doing it individually

Thanks for your time, this is really interesting!
Gingerbread Man

sahilc wrote:it wouldn't be able to "block" a plugin per se, because it's server side php?
It's just an external script file (client-side JavaScript).
sahilc wrote:How would you find the script that's loading?
In Firefox, you can click the Adblock Plus toolbar icon and choose Open Blockable Items. This displays everything that's blocked or hidden on the page, and everything that can be blocked.
In other browsers, to check for blocked items, open the Developer Tools, then the Console. Look for items marked ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT.
sahilc wrote:Also, why doesn't someone add what I'm adding to _my_ whitelist to the _general_ EasyList, so that everyone using ABP can benefit?
That's up to the maintainers of EasyList.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

That message seems fine according to our guidelines: https://easylist.adblockplus.org/blog/2 ... ite-admins
Thomas_Schnitzer

Post by Thomas_Schnitzer »

Maybe also have a look at this posting: forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39640