ABP intermittently not blocking... [piratebay popups]

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
jweaver

ABP intermittently not blocking... [piratebay popups]

Post by jweaver »

I have been suffering with "ads" for years and only discovered ABP a few weeks back where it changed my life... It completely stopped the annoying ads that I get and I was thrilled.

But last week Firefox upgraded to v39 and ABP appears to have stopped working.

The vast majority of the time the ads appear and are not blocked.. I have checked my registrations settings and confirm that I am subscribed to the "EasyList".. And if I look at the "Filter List" all of the ads I am seeing are there. But ABP doesn't seem to work.. If I then update the filter it doesnt' help.. But then some time later, ABP seems to start working again.. But only for a matter of hours/days.

So today I installed it on spare laptop I have in work.. Again Firefox 39, and the same version of ABP.. And its not working.

Did something change in Firefox 39? Does anyone have any ideas why ABP is not working?

Jon
mapx

Re: ABP intermittently not blocking...

Post by mapx »

Did you already try disabling all other addons ?

Choose a site with unblocked ads (for you) and submit an issue report.
The post here the report's link. Add the screenshot to the report.
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

mapx wrote:Did you already try disabling all other addons ?

Choose a site with unblocked ads (for you) and submit an issue report.
The post here the report's link. Add the screenshot to the report.
Other add-ons? As in Firefox?

I just went back to my Laptop to see what Add-ons I have.. And ABP is now working... It wasn't 30 mins ago when I installed it.. This is the nature of what I am facing.. It works sometimes, and not others.

As for filing a report.. My problem is that the site I use to 'test' ads is an illegal download site, so I don't know if its appropreate to post this.. Is there a good site to 'test' ABP functionality?

Jon
mapx

Post by mapx »

You have issues only with that site ?
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

mapx wrote:You have issues only with that site ?
Maybe.. But it makes no sense that I am getting ads, which are in the "Easylist"...
mapx

Post by mapx »

submit that report and will see. Remember posting here the report's link.
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

mapx wrote:submit that report and will see. Remember posting here the report's link.
What do you mean by "posting here reports link"?

I will monitor the 2 installs I have ongoing and once I have seen it again, will raise it.. If it continues to work on my laptop, but not my main PC at home, I will do some more testing before formally reporting the issue.

Has anyone got a good link to a site which generates loads of ads, so that I can test whether this is iscolated to the one site I have found.

Jon
mapx

Post by mapx »

when you submit an issue report. At the end of this step-by-step process you'll obtain a ... report somewhere on ABP servers. I need the link to that report. Copy the link and paste it in a post.
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

mapx wrote:when you submit an issue report. At the end of this step-by-step process you'll obtain a ... report somewhere on ABP servers. I need the link to that report. Copy the link and paste it in a post.
Assuming I understand the process.. Here is my link:

https://reports.adblockplus.org/973dc5f ... f0b21a59bb

My Laptop (Running Firefox 39 and XP) is in the same state as I see at home.. ABP isn't blocking and updating the filters has not helped...
mapx

Post by mapx »

so, your problem ..are the popups

add these filters and do your tests

Code: Select all

||2mdn.info^$popup
||trafficsecure.net^$popup
||piratebay.host/prototype-js.js?*
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

mapx wrote:so, your problem ..are the popups

add these filters and do your tests

Code: Select all

||2mdn.info^$popup
||trafficsecure.net^$popup
||piratebay.host/prototype-js.js?*

That appears to have worked.. Problem is, the link to "piratebay" may be different each time.. So does this mean you have to keep creating "custom filters" for each site? I assumed that the "EasyList" would take care of this for ALL sites?
mapx

Re: ABP intermittently not blocking... [piratebay popups]

Post by mapx »

well ... easylist is only a collection of filters where new filters are added (by volunteers ...in their spare time) when the users are reporting here or on easylist forum.

What do you mean ... piratebay changes the extension ? today .host, tomorrow something else ?
Well, yes, in this case you need other filters or even if the extension is the same the site owners could change the ..tricks
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

mapx wrote:well ... easylist is only a collection of filters where new filters are added (by volunteers ...in their spare time) when the users are reporting here or on easylist forum.

What do you mean ... piratebay changes the extension ? today .host, tomorrow something else ?
Well, yes, in this case you need other filters or even if the extension is the same the site owners could change the ..tricks
Cheers.. Piratebay links get shut down all the time, so you have to get to it via what ever URL works on any given day...

I still don't understand why ABP works sometimes, with the default (Easylist) filters.. And then stops overnight.. When nothing at my end has changed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, when it's about popups, it's about ...cookies and their expired date / time. I mean if you already got a popup in the next 20 minutes (for example), the popup wont appear anymore.
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

mapx wrote:well, when it's about popups, it's about ...cookies and their expired date / time. I mean if you already got a popup in the next 20 minutes (for example), the popup wont appear anymore.
I am struggling to understand how that fits the issue I have.... In my case, I visit the site, I get a bunch of new tabs/windows open (Ads or Popups, I am not sure).. I then click a link.. more popups.. And then another link.. More popups.. And this repeats forever.. They are often the same.. And happen every time I click a link. I can close them.. But they just re-open next time I click a link.

Then I installed ABP and all this stopped. The windows would still open, but would immediately close... But now, periodically (Without me doing anything) ABP starts working again.. But then stops.. And then starts.. And so on.. and I can't quite get my head around how this is linked to "Popups" and "cookies".

But this is completely new territory for me and I am not really following what the root of the issue is.

Jon