[YAVLI] "Sponsored Content" ads!! How to get rid of them

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
MichaelIsGreat

[YAVLI] "Sponsored Content" ads!! How to get rid of them

Post by MichaelIsGreat »

Update: I do confirm that using the AdBlock Plus button, I select Filter Preferences, Filter subscriptions tab, I have "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" unchecked, not selected.

Apparently, according to "Remove Ads by Google from Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer" at http://nabzsoftware.com/types-of-threats/ads-by-google , Google is responsible for these very annoying ads that appear on various web pages under a section called "Sponsored Content"!!

But worse, AdBlockPlus does not give a way for users of Firefox (the only browser I use) to opt out of these ads, as apparently Google paid AdBlockPlus to put these ads in a white list that will not be blocked by AdBlock Plus!!

This situation is inadmissible. Users should be able to even block the ads from this white list through AdBlock Plus, as AdBlock Plus SHOULD, MUST put an option especially for users who also want these ads from the white list to be blocked.

ADBLOCK PLUS SHOULD, MUST GIVE THE CHOICE TO THE USER TO DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT HE WANTS TO ACCEPT THESE VERY INTRUSIVE AND VERY OFTEN DISGUSTING ADS FROM GOOGLE AND FROM ANY OTHER COMPANY.

By the way, the web page where these "Sponsored Content" ads are displayed is on "Surface Pro 4 Release Date, News, and Specs: Surface Pro 4 Will Have a 3D Facial Recognition Cameras, Set to be Released This Coming October 4?" at http://www.crossmap.com/news/surface-pr ... er-4-20466

Here on this web page, see the two sections called "Sponsored Content" that I do not want to have to put up with. They appear on various other sites too.
https://mega.nz/#!pVRxWCJJ!eDiqRLAi55sk ... ztNUwfjkjs
Last edited by MichaelIsGreat on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
mapx

Re: "Sponsored Content" ads!! How to get rid of them!!!

Post by mapx »

Did you uncheck "allow some non intrusive advertising" option ?

You uploaded a pic on mega. Which is that page (from the image) ? Other examples ?
But worse, AdBlockPlus does not give a way for users of Firefox (the only browser I use) to opt out of these ads, as apparently Google paid AdBlockPlus to put these ads in a white list that will not be blocked by AdBlock Plus!!
wrong ! You can opt out (see above). More, you don't even know if those ads are in the special list.

read about acceptable ads:
acceptable-ads

If you still want to keep that list but disable only some filters:
go to about:config
find extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionscheckbox
double click that row ==> false
close and re-open the filter preferences window
now the list will be exactly like the others and you can disable the filters you want
MichaelIsGreat

Post by MichaelIsGreat »

Capitals are only used to indicate important ideas.

Hello mapx, thanks for your feedback.

However, I do confirm that using the AdBlock Plus button, I select Filter Preferences, Filter subscriptions tab, I have "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" unchecked, not selected.

The rest of what you suggest does not change anything, these "Sponsored Content" ads are still showing up!!

What I believe is needed is the following. These "Sponsored Content" ads are apparently ads generated by Google on various sites! I think you need to be logged in with Google in order to be able to see for yourself the Google page called "Ads Settings" at https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated where at the top it says "Control Your Google Ads" that is in fact a complete deception from Google because you can select off to have these tailored ads disabled, you still will get ads but not personalized to your own supposed preferences.

How on earth is it possible? Well, Google and other companies paid AdBlock Plus to allow various ads that are deemed acceptable by AdBlock Plus and these companies are then put by AdBlock Plus on a white list that basically allow them to bypass AdBlock Plus filters in order to have their ads shown on various sites!!

What I want is the following. I am fine with AdBlock Plus keep allowing this white list. BUT, and it is a very important 'but', AdBlock Plus MUST ALLOW THESE WHITE LIST ADS TO BE BLOCKED BY ANY USER OF ADBLOCK PLUS THAT WOULD DESIRE TO BLOCK THEM. CONSEQUENTLY, ADBLOCK PLUS SHOULD, MUST ADD AN EXTRA OPTION (say under the option "Allow some non-intrusive ads") THAT THE USER COULD SELECT OR DESELECT THAT WOULD, WHEN IT IS DESELECTED, BLOCK THESE WHITE LIST ADS IF THE USER DESIRES TO DO SO.
AS YOU CAN SEE, THESE ADS ARE VERY INTRUSIVE.

Well, this message, could you send it to the AdBlock Plus team so that they decide what they want to do with my IMPORTANT SUGGESTION. Thanks.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Michael, I already told you how-to-disable any single filter from that list or the entire list.
If you unchecked that option (allow some non intrusive advertising) the acceptable ads list is completely disabled.

I asked you an example link and you only repeated all you said in the first post.

Could you provide that example page with those ads "Sponsored Content" ?
mapx

Post by mapx »

if you are talking about "sponsored content" on christian post site (or crossmap) it's about YAVLI advertising as you surely know. It's not about any google ads.
You already posted about yavli crap, so ...what's happening ?

for crossmap site I blocked the yavli crap using this filter

Code: Select all

||ziccardia.com^
or

Code: Select all

crossmap.com##[class$="_image_holder"]
crossmap.com##[class$="_label_box"]
crossmap.com##[class*="mdeyheadline_"]
fanboy

Re: [YAVLI] "Sponsored Content" ads!! How to get rid of them

Post by fanboy »

Force an update of the subscriptions.
MichaelIsGreat

NOW FULLY SOLVED - [YAVLI] "Sponsored Content" ads!!

Post by MichaelIsGreat »

Hello mapx,

You are right and I am wrong, mapx. You SOLVED my problem with the following:
||ziccardia.com^

It indeed get rid fully of the "Sponsored Content" ads that were showing up on this site at http://www.crossmap.com/news/surface-pr ... er-4-20466

I mistakenly thought that these ads located under the "Sponsored Content" section of this site at crossmap.com were Google ads that were on a white list but it is not the case at all, following mapx feedback that they are YAVLI ads.

Again, thanks mapx for your help on solving this issue. PROBLEM SOLVED.
mapx

Post by mapx »

fanboy already fixed easylist as you can see above, just update your lists
mapx

Post by mapx »

topic closed, continue in the main one
forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26700