icons and their functions blocked

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
mapx

Re: icons and their functions blocked

Post by mapx »

No. I mean addons and you have no other 1. Try the other suggestions.
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

Since resetting Firefox is the most drastic and I already have two other profiles, I tried opening the gocomics in another profile. Same issue. Now, in the other profile, the ABP icon does not appear in the toolbar, but does show when I do Tools --> Add-ons --> Extensions, although the Show in Toolbar option is off and I don't seem to be able to turn it on (to try to implement your "install in the new profile". Would I have to totally create a really new profile? (Or bite the bullet and reset Firefox?)
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

As indicated, the profiles suggestion leads nowhere. I finally got time to back up my bookmarks and refreshed Firefox. No change.
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, ...
go to http://www.gocomics.com/collection/1660 ... tions-news
use only ABP + easylist (no other list)
submit another report
post the link here
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

I went to the link provided -- it was a gocomics page illustrating their collection feature. There were no e-mail, etc. icons on the comics shown. I installed the Adblock Plus and verified that only the easylist was listed under filters. I re-loaded the page and there was no change in the icons shown. I don't know what you mean by "submit another report" and "post the link here" -- do you mean start another discussion thread here by submitting another report to Adblock Plus?
mapx

Post by mapx »

I meant a report as that one you published in the first post on this thread.
But, I don't understand: you don't see those icons even without ABP installed ?
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

Correct -- I don't see them regardless of whether Adblock Plus is installed on this profile or not. It was still installed on my other two profiles. I can see them, no problem, on my laptop with the same profiles, just no Adblock Plus at all. I also e-mailed gocomics' customer support after seeing that happen, but haven't heard back yet. Regarding starting another report, I guess I should just say the same thing as my first post, right?
mapx

Post by mapx »

if you can't see that stuff without ABP, it's something else in your system which interferes, so , no report at all..
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

OK -- I guess I'll wait on the gocomics' customer support then. Just checking -- the fact that Adblock Plus was once installed on this profile and/or is still installed on my other two profiles would have no effect?
mapx

Post by mapx »

no.
Are you using some blocking HOSTS file ?
or filtering at router level ?
or ...some aggressive antivirus / firewall rules (other than windows default firewall) ?

You could temporarily disable all your security software, keep enabled only windows firewall and test again.
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

I don't know what a "blocking HOSTS file" is, so I doubt it. My router does have some security, but I actually wish it had more than it did -- a remote computer periodically searches my computer for available ports and I would like my router to stop such stuff and it doesn't. I've called at least twice about this. Also, the router has not changed. My Internet security software is pretty aggressive in general -- it detects those remote computer accesses and blocks them. It once wouldn't let me access MapQuest because of security concerns, although now it does. I haven't changed any rules, but did do all available software updates in January on this computer and haven't gotten around to it on my laptop. (When I'm very busy with work, I don't want to deal with any disruptions due to program updates. When I used another company's Internet security software, it twice blocked my access to my router and/or the Internet when it did updates that implemented new features that I had to set properly. I can't bother with that when I'm very busy with work, so I don't allow program updates of any kind when that happens.) I'll check the program's settings and report again if I see anything there.
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

I selected "disable monitor" and "disable firewall" and went to gocomics. No change. It's crazy! I guess I'll have to wait on their customer support.
wilchv

Post by wilchv »

Finally nailed it! All gocomics.com customer support would say was that they could see "security settings" involved when they signed in as me and suggested checking out Firefox's support. "Security settings" meant nothing to me -- I had done Firefox updates in January such that I'm on the latest, but had not touched any of the settings. However, there's a new one in Tools --> Options --> Privacy, I turned OFF "Use Tracking Protection in Privacy Windows" and the icons were back. The following page from Firefox support showed the way, although it refers to the checkbox differently: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1109798

Thanks for all of your help and pointing me in the right direction!