Adblock detector script in Telegraph.co.uk

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
jumbofreak

Adblock detector script in Telegraph.co.uk

Post by jumbofreak »

Getting nagging box which detects adblock plus on Telegraph.co.uk. ex:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -deal.html , Has anyone found a way to overcome this? You get a nagging screen saying "We have detected you're using Adblocker"
I have updated lists and also using fanboy's annoyance list , still no luck.

Note - You only get this nagging box if you are using firefox browser on linux machine/vm or if you use promiscuous/privacy mode in windows firefox browser.
Last edited by jumbofreak on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Re: Adblock detector script in Telegraph.co.uk

Post by mapx »

it was already reported but ... not all the visitors get that nagging box.
submit an issue report and then post here the report link
jumbofreak

Post by jumbofreak »

okay, Will submit report, You only get this nagging box if you are using firefox browser on linux machine/vm or if you use promiscuous/privacy mode in windows firefox browser.
mapx

Post by mapx »

remember posting here the report link.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I don't see something specific in your report ... and still I'm unable to reproduce the issue (even in privacy mode).
I see you are using easylist + easylist china ==> just remove the standalone easylist (already included in the combo easy + easy china)

If you are using some other blocking addon disable it, keep only ABP enabled and test again (you could test keeping only easylist)
jumbofreak

Post by jumbofreak »

Bizarre , removed easy list china, Just have standalone easylist, clicked on update, cleared telegraph cookies, Now i don't see the nagging screen. Will report link again if i start seeing it again. Thanks for checking and quick response.
jimjim

Post by jimjim »

I can confirm that this occurs in Windows Chrome Incognito mode also.

I think the Telegraph might use cookies to allow a limited number of free articles. Incognito mode allows a trivial workaround since cookies are not retained between sessions.
haedon

Post by haedon »

I tried to open that posted link in Firefox. I don't see any adblock detector script that appear in my screen.
English_Pensioner

Post by English_Pensioner »

Had a page from the Telegraph covered with a 'nag screen' because I'm using Adblock.
The Telegraph uses cookies to limit the number of pages read, but clearing the cookies allows another quota of pages.
Previously this also stopped the 'nag screen' appearing, but things seem to have changed this evening and I can't get rid of it.
Ideas welcome!
mapx

Post by mapx »

If you can reproduce the nag screen in firefox, submit an issue report and then post here the report link.
Also, even better (firefox or chrome), when you get the issue, right click the page, "save as...", you'll get a folder ad a html file.
Zip them together and upload the zip on some server. pm me the link to the upload.
derrickbj

Post by derrickbj »

I got this error also and submitted an issue report: https://reports.adblockplus.org/4bd1cfb9-fa0e-4f39-be2d-03727cb5c9a8. This happened when trying to go to the following URL: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12135439/Zika-outbreak-Where-is-the-virus-spreading.html. I used Paros proxy to intercept the get/response data and found 72 get requests with a couple of them having an "adblock" t/f option in them. One of them being:

GET http://odb.outbrain.com/utils/get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fnews%2F12135439%2FZika-outbreak-Where-is-the-virus-spreading.html&settings=true&recs=true&widgetJSId=AR_30&key=NANOWDGT01&idx=1&version=01000407&ref=&apv=false&sig=zRohMKmA&format=html&rand=48479&lsd=0cf418c0-d276-4645-8915-94ad2571098c&t=MV9kMjEwN2EyYjM0NTczNDJiYzg4ZjIyNTRkMTM0MDIxMl8w&winW=1634&winH=808&adblck=true HTTP/1.1.

I tried changing these to false, but it's possible I missed one because I still got the error. Anyway, I wasn't able to determine in the short time I was playing with the site what is causing the get request to set the "adblck" to true (i.e., what is detecting the add on).

Hope this helps
mapx

Post by mapx »

still I'm not able to reproduce the issue, if someone could save the page and pm me the link would be a chance to figure it out
(right click the page, "save as...", you'll get a folder ad a html file.
Zip them together and upload the zip on some server)
English_Pensioner

Post by English_Pensioner »

It comes and goes. It blocked me from looking at one page yesterday, but I can look at it it today. I clear all the cookies from Telegraph, otherwise the block me with 'You've reached your limit, please subscribe' notice, but clearing their cookies and refreshing the page gets rid of that, but it didn't work with the AdBlock notice.
derrickbj

Post by derrickbj »

mapx wrote:still I'm not able to reproduce the issue, if someone could save the page and pm me the link would be a chance to figure it out
(right click the page, "save as...", you'll get a folder ad a html file.
Zip them together and upload the zip on some server)
Just sent you a link