how to filter with adblock: flash & html5 video

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
zlotowinfo

how to filter with adblock: flash & html5 video

Post by zlotowinfo »

in chrome every plugin take 64MB memory, its this browser bug
anyway idlike to have in adblock additional two options, block flash & block html5 video
jonnymoon96

Re: how to filter with adblock: flash & html5 video

Post by jonnymoon96 »

you should be able to use the element hiding helper however a click to play plug-in would probably work or use noscript or a text browser
lewisje

Re: how to filter with adblock: flash & html5 video

Post by lewisje »

Enabling click-to-play is a security and usability move that everyone should make now (except users of IE and Edge, which don't have this capability); Firefox, Chrome, and Opera (both old and new) can do this natively, and I think Safari can too.

As for blocking HTML5 video, it's not in the docs, but to make a filter that blocks HTML5 video in Firefox, use the $media option; there are also ways to keep HTML5 media from autoplaying, but there aren't good ones (in particular, YouTube goes out of its way to defeat the obvious means to keep HTML5 media from autoplaying).

For Chrome, there is no special media request type, so you'd need to use $other instead, and that's a little bit broader (like it also matches fonts in Chrome 48 and earlier).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.