Wired will soon restrict access for adblockers

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
lewisje

Wired will soon restrict access for adblockers

Post by lewisje »

I hope it's by some means that can be defeated by targeted whitelist rules: http://www.wired.com/how-wired-is-going ... -blocking/
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
jonnymoon96

Re: Wired will soon restrict access for adblockers

Post by jonnymoon96 »

this would not be the first time a company blocks ad blockers plus there are thousands of other blogs you can visit
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

jonnymoon96 wrote:this would not be the first time a company blocks ad blockers plus there are thousands of other blogs you can visit
Wired is a good source of original reporting, it's not like Breitbart Tech, IT Pro Portal, or some other better-ignored publication. I'm fine with whitelisting Wired altogether if I need to read its reporting that badly (I actually don't read it much, and I just saw this story on Panda), and I'm even more fine if, as its announcement suggests, its new ad policy basically satisfies the Acceptable Ads criteria; in fact, I was considering nominating Wired myself, but I'm not sure whether that's proper (I'm neither an Eyeo staff member nor a representative of Wired), and of course I'd need to see what ads it actually runs once its anti-adblock measures are in place.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
dantose

Post by dantose »

I do not consider outbrain's attempt to disguise ads as links to other legitimate articles to be acceptable ads. Deceptive tactics are never acceptable.

So the question is, how do I block the adblock block? Clickable objects get rid of the popup, but scrolling is still disabled a la the slate one. Anyone find which javascript is responsible?
mapx

Post by mapx »

dantose wrote:I do not consider outbrain's attempt to disguise ads as links to other legitimate articles to be acceptable ads. Deceptive tactics are never acceptable.

So the question is, how do I block the adblock block? Clickable objects get rid of the popup, but scrolling is still disabled a la the slate one. Anyone find which javascript is responsible?
it's not clear what are you talking about.
example page ? what ad do you want to block / hide ?
dantose

Post by dantose »

mapx wrote:
dantose wrote:I do not consider outbrain's attempt to disguise ads as links to other legitimate articles to be acceptable ads. Deceptive tactics are never acceptable.

it's not clear what are you talking about.
example page ? what ad do you want to block / hide ?
Wired has begun putting a block when viewing their website with a block active. I'm looking for a filter that will remove that block.
mapx

Post by mapx »

try

Code: Select all

@@||subscribe.wired.com/ams/page-ads.js?*
dantose

Post by dantose »

mapx wrote:try

I actually tried this one earlier with no luck. However, I had the whiteout screen blocked already and apparently that was blocking a "thanks for not blocking us" popup that reenabled the scrolling.

Thanks!
dantose

Post by dantose »

mapx wrote:try

This filter is no longer working
mapx

Post by mapx »

@@||wired.com^$generichide
combat3903

wired will FAIL to block adblocking like everyone else

Post by combat3903 »

This is a decades long game the advertisers CANNOT win.

My right to privacy trumps their profit by privacy rape. There is no contract with the site viewer. Content is placed in the public sphere. If they wish to protect content before payment they can employ a paywall. Why don't they? [Their intellectual dishonesty ensues]

[Redacted]

Is one such innovation.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@@||$xmlhttprequest,script,domain=wired.com
||outbrain.com^
wired.com###around-the-web
wired.com##[id^="google_ads_iframe"]