More websites detecting AdBlock Plus

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
BeauJames

More websites detecting AdBlock Plus

Post by BeauJames »

"WordReference.com" suddenly started detecting ABP:
A conflict with your ad blocker is interfering with the search box. Disable the ad blocker for WordReference.com to make it work.
"Interfering with the seach" is of course complete BS. The only interference is to stop the ads - which, if not blocked, are across the top and down the right of the page, in multiple frames. The ads change constantly, making WR very irritating to use while working on one's foreign language homework.

I've searched the forums and found other reference to the same issue (websites detecting ABP). But I did not find any threads with a technique to defeat or work around the ABP detection. Clearly, we're in an arms race.

Any hints? TIA.
lewisje

Re: More websites detecting AdBlock Plus

Post by lewisje »

BeauJames wrote:I've searched the forums and found other reference to the same issue (websites detecting ABP). But I did not find any threads with a technique to defeat or work around the ABP detection. Clearly, we're in an arms race.
The best we can do is offer case-by-case workarounds: Often, anti-adblock techniques lazily use external scripts, or lazily check whether some dummy script loaded, so by respectively blocking the external anti-adblock script or whitelisting the dummy script, we can get around it; sometimes it's highly sophisticated, and it's gotten so bad that new options like $generichide were created just so ABP can work around more anti-adblock measures.

With that said, surely someone will look into this site and figure out how to circumvent its anti-adblock technique; maybe I'll be the one to do it.

EDIT I just figured it out: wordreference.com###ad1_holder
WordReference had a stupid and easily circumvented anti-adblock method.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
skx0221

Post by skx0221 »

lewisje wrote: EDIT I just figured it out: wordreference.com###ad1_holder
WordReference had a stupid and easily circumvented anti-adblock method.
I'm having the same problem as well.
So how do I use the wordreference.com###ad1_holder? I've tried putting in @@||wordreference.com###ad1_holder in my Exceptions list, but it's not working.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

"@@||" is only used in blocking-type filters: || means "this domain and all subdomains" and @@ means "don't block whatever matches this pattern"

Any filter with ## is a hiding filter, not a blocking filter, and both @@ and || are invalid for hiding filters.

With that said, what you put in your custom filters is literally

Code: Select all

wordreference.com###ad1_holder
on its own line, with no mysterious symbols before or after that; this filter means "on wordreference.com or any subdomain, hide any element with the id ad1_holder" (id selectors in CSS start with #, which is why you see three # signs together: ## to separate the domain specifier from the CSS selector, and # to start the CSS selector itself, which is just an id selector)
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I get no ads. Provide a specific page where you get ads, upload a screenshot.
What browser version, ABP version, filter lists are you using ?
skx0221

Post by skx0221 »

lewisje wrote: With that said, what you put in your custom filters is literally

Code: Select all

wordreference.com###ad1_holder
on its own line, with no mysterious symbols before or after that; this filter means "on wordreference.com or any subdomain, hide any element with the id ad1_holder" (id selectors in CSS start with #, which is why you see three # signs together: ## to separate the domain specifier from the CSS selector, and # to start the CSS selector itself, which is just an id selector)
That worked perfectly, thank you!
barkmecrazy

Post by barkmecrazy »

Excuse my ignorance. I am trying to enter wordreference.com###ad1_holder, but it's not working for me.

What I tried: when on the WordReference website, I go up to the ABP icon (AdBlockPlus) and scroll down to "Filter Preferences" and choose "Custom Filters", then I click on "Add filter group" and that's where I add "wordreference.com###ad1_holder"

Is this wrong? Thanks for the technical help.
mapx

Post by mapx »

after creating the group with a whatever name such as group1, you have to paste the filter in that group (in the right panel)
see
forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42013
barkmecrazy

Post by barkmecrazy »

mapx wrote:after creating the group with a whatever name such as group1, you have to paste the filter in that group (in the right panel)
see
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42013

Thanks much!