What is Adblock Warning Removal List?

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
Didymos

What is Adblock Warning Removal List?

Post by Didymos »

I have Addblock Plus 2.7.1 for Firefox running under Firefox 44.0.2.

I googled 'what is the adblock warning removal list' in an attempt to find out what it does. After opening 6 links that all did everything except tell me what it does I gave up and decided to post here. So:

1) What exactly does the Adblock Warning Removal List do?

2) As it appears to heve been left unticked when Adblock Plus was installed, is there any advantage to me ticking it and what effects would I see if I did so?
mapx

Re: What is Adblock Warning Removal List?

Post by mapx »

Adblock Warning Removal List
The Adblock Warning Removal List specifically removes obtrusive messages and warnings targeted to users who use an adblocker.
Didymos

Post by Didymos »

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've seen one or two of these messages but unless they become more numerous I'll just put up with them to save having another list.
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

Hi, I have a question here.

I think I'm not clearly understand the purpose of AWRL.

In particular what does mean word "obtrusive" in the description means.

There is a policy for anti-adblock messages and if I understand it correctly, then messages which following this policy are considered as good and unobtrusive. Right? If these rules are somehow broken, then such message is obtrusive and should be circumvented in the main list.

So, here is the question. What's left for the AWRL in such case? :?
dimisa

Post by dimisa »

greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Didymos wrote:2) As it appears to heve been left unticked when Adblock Plus was installed, is there any advantage to me ticking it and what effects would I see if I did so?
Lain_13 wrote:There is a policy for anti-adblock messages and if I understand it correctly, then messages which following this policy are considered as good and unobtrusive. Right? If these rules are somehow broken, then such message is obtrusive and should be circumvented in the main list.

So, here is the question. What's left for the AWRL in such case? :?
The Adblock Warning Removal List filters were originally part of the main EasyList but as far as I know they were moved out of there since they are not blocking any ads. Therefore we added a notification that pops up when you visit a site which is supposed to have one of those warnings to suggest enabling it to the user since they might get annoyed by such obtrusive warnings. For that check to work it needs to be installed.

There's no harm in removing this list though.
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

The problem is that notification could be more obtrusive (when appears first time) than a message and at least in Russian version have a bit harsh connotation. It sounds like site attempts to show something rude to ABP users or make false claims, even though it's not necessary like that. Hm... looks like I should open an issue in ABP for that.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Lain_13 wrote:The problem is that notification could be more obtrusive (when appears first time) than a message and at least in Russian version have a bit harsh connotation. It sounds like site attempts to show something rude to ABP users or make false claims, even though it's not necessary like that. Hm... looks like I should open an issue in ABP for that.
I wasn't aware of the Russian translation sounding that harsh. Feel free to fix the translation directly on our translation platform. You can find the string at https://crowdin.com/translate/adblockpl ... -ru#q=site Otherwise I'll forward this issue to our translation manager.

For improvements to how we currently inform people about the existence of that filter list or whether we should remove that notification alltogether, a ticket would be great, indeed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

for me that notification (and the list) is useless / confusing. An advanced user will remove the list, a normal user won't understand why that notification.