Whitelist a site except for Flash

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
andresr

Whitelist a site except for Flash

Post by andresr »

I have been using Adblock plus a for a while now and I love it. Recently some of my regular news sites have been asking readers to whitelist them. I am ok with doing that, except that a lot of these sites use really annoying flash ads that were partly responsible for me starting to use adblock plus in the first place. What I would like to do is to whitelist a site except for flash or other specific ads. I have been doing reading in the FAQ and in the forums and I can't seem to find a way to do this. Is this possible? I figure that if site owners see people allowing certain ads through but blocking others, they might start to adjust their use of those annoying ads.
Hubird

Re: Whitelist a site except for Flash

Post by Hubird »

It should be able to be done...

If you give us a link to the site I'll see what I can do.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I think a filter like this one will do:

Code: Select all

@@*$domain=example.com,~object
You have to replace example.com by the actual domain of course. The only problem: if the filter subscription doesn't have a filter for the object itself but only for the script that inserts that object then this approach will let the object load.
andresr

Post by andresr »

Thanks. I have tried a couple of sites and static graphic ads seem to work but not Google text ads. For example, Arstechnica and HardOCP both have graphic ads that load ok but on Anandtech.com the Google text ads don't load.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

That's because element hiding will still work, it hides parts of web pages. You should remove EasyList filter subscription and subscribe to "EasyList without element hiding" on en/subscriptions instead.
andresr

Post by andresr »

Thanks for the help. I am using that now.
andresr

Post by andresr »

Still having problems with this site www.hardocp.com. The sidebar and banner flash ads still show up. I want to help these sites out, but I really don't like all the blinking. It looks like they are embedding a flash object inside a script. I tried adding ~script to the filter but it now blocks the static and text ads too. I'll keep playing with it.
andresr

Post by andresr »

After trying to write my own filter and failing I found the most excellent Adblock Plus Element hiding helper plugin. I was able to choose the offending embedded flash element and it automatically created the filter for me, awesome. Thanks Wladimir for all your terrific help.