AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Discussion on how to block ads on a certain site, why your filter doesn't work or how it can be optimized

AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby MercWithMouth » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 am

As I understand it, there are two major AdBlock Plus Filter Subsciption packs out there.

The first, being "The EasyList", and the second being, "The FanBoy List".

What I want to know is...
  • 1)What are the Pros of installing "The EasyList" and not the "The FanBoy List"?

  • 2)What are the Cons of installing "The EasyList" and not the "The FanBoy List"?

  • 3)What are the Pros of installing "The FanBoy List" and not the "The EasyList" ?

  • 4)What are the Cons of installing "The FanBoy List" and not the "The EasyList" ?

  • 5)What's the harm of installing both "The FanBoy List" and the "The EasyList", together?

I did actually see this topic previously: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5485 But... I wanted to re-start the conversation fresh, and hopefully delve into aspects of the conversation that weren't quite touched-upon in the original forum topic.

Also, I heard that one way to decide which AdBlock Plus Filter Subsciption pack (from the comments in a webforum. couldn't find it after delving my web-history for 15minutes) was to look at it as "The FanBoy List" being geared towards PC-users, and the "The EasyList" being geared towards Apple-users. Is there any truth to this and why?

Image removed. Please don't insert images unless they are somehow related to the topic. Wladimir Palant
User avatar
MercWithMouth
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 am

Re: AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby fanboy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:30 am

Ignoring the pointless image, both lists work independently and developed from each other, however both subscriptions may cover many of the same sites also, and some different sites also. So there could be some double ups between the 2 subs. Its preferable to chose one over another, avoids potential slow downs. Though there are a few people who use both filtersets, and find no problems.
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby MercWithMouth » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:38 am

fanboy wrote:Ignoring the pointless image, both lists work independently and developed from each other, however both subscriptions may cover many of the same sites also, and some different sites also. So there could be some double ups between the 2 subs. Its preferable to chose one over another, avoids potential slow downs. Though there are a few people who use both filtersets, and find no problems.


Thanks for responding. :)

Well, my impression at this point is that the differences between the two lists are tantamount to the differences between the Xbox360 and the Playstation3. That is to say, there a number of cons-and-pros to using either system over the other, but, the cons-and-pros tend to mostly cancel out each when compared side-by-side.

Even so... having said that, you ARE the person that assembled the Fanboy Subscription Pack.

Could I at least ask what your "sales pitch" is for prompting users to install The FanBoy Subscription Pack over The EasyList Subscription Pack?
User avatar
MercWithMouth
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 am

Re: AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 am

Some of the differences that people have highlighted before include:
  1. Fanboy's List specifically blocks adverts on adult sites, while EasyList does not.
  2. EasyList uses a secure connection to ensure that virus checkers cannot corrupt the download, while Fanboy's List does not.
  3. We have different definitions of general and specific filters and the instances in which each should be used.
There is no truth in the subscriptions being system-specific.
Michael
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby fanboy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 am

Michael wrote:EasyList uses a secure connection to ensure that virus checkers cannot corrupt the download, while Fanboy's List does not.


Not entirely true, there is a option to use https:// just no issues have come about using http:// ..Anyways, if your antivirus or firewall is blocking http instances, you'll certainly know about it before the subscription updates next.
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby MonztA » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 am

MercWithMouth wrote:Also, I heard that one way to decide which AdBlock Plus Filter Subsciption pack (from the comments in a webforum. couldn't find it after delving my web-history for 15minutes) was to look at it as "The FanBoy List" being geared towards PC-users, and the "The EasyList" being geared towards Apple-users. Is there any truth to this and why?

Not true at all.
MonztA
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Germany

Re: AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby Hubird » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:39 pm

I guess when deciding which subscription you want to use you should ask yourself weather you be visiting adult sites or not and also think about weather or not you need a supplementary subscription to add support for a language other than English.
User avatar
Hubird
 
Posts: 2844
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Australia

Re: AdBlock Plus Subscription Filters EasyList versus. Fanboy's

Postby fanboy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:58 pm

Hubird wrote:I guess when deciding which subscription you want to use you should ask yourself weather you be visiting adult sites or not and also think about weather or not you need a supplementary subscription to add support for a language other than English.


Though its not simply "Easylist+Adult sites", the fact we cover the adult sites by default is just bonus.
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am


Return to Filters for Adblock Plus

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests