Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Discussion on how to block ads on a certain site, why your filter doesn't work or how it can be optimized

Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby AmirGTR » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Yup. Tried ad block plus, worked for me for ages, but not anymore.

Then resorted to F5. Worked for a while, but not anymore.

Now I have to sit through that damn thing? Hellllllllllll nooooooo.

Help me out guys. I'm using Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7 X64. My ad block plus is up to date.
AmirGTR
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby AmirGTR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:46 am

Come on guys, no one? I'm talking about the video advertisements on Youtube. Anyway we could avoid this? If not, can we expect Ad Block Plus to figure out a way around them?
AmirGTR
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby fanboy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:32 pm

In short, no. given some youtube providers need to play the ad before the video starts.
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby AmirGTR » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:56 am

fanboy wrote:In short, no. given some youtube providers need to play the ad before the video starts.

Well the channels don't "need" to do anything. Their contracts with youtube does not require the channels to play any specific video before the video starts, but gives permission to Youtube to play an unrelated video before their video.

Youtube knows if you've watched the ad or not, they actually send you a cookie containing what time you entered the video, only allowing you to watch the video after x number of seconds. If Ad Block Plus can detect it and manipulate that cookie so that it would indicate x number of seconds has already passed, the video will be skipped.

I realize this is pretty vague but that's how it seems to be working.
AmirGTR
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby spas|spas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:48 pm

You can try to add "greasemonkey" to Firefox and then use a google ads blocker script to block ads which are not blocked by Adblock Plus. That should work.

But, for the time being, greasemonkey is not compatible with Firefox 4 beta. One needs to resort to Firefox non beta versions to use it.

http://userscripts.org/about/installing
spas|spas
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby asdf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:39 am

come on, spas. There are no ads on youtube that require anything other than adblock plus to prevent them. If you can't figure it out, that's your inability, not the extension's. I have no problem blocking all ads on youtube and watching any video I want. You can't block google ads on youtube? What an amateur.

Pro-tip checklist for killing youtube ads:

google$third-party,domain=youtube.com

doubleclick$domain=youtube.com

block any object_subrequest items from any subdomain of youtube.com that is not /crossdomain.xml

Block any first-party flash or script from youtube.com except object_subrequest from *.c.youtube.com (||c.youtube.com$~object_subrequest)

|http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/ad-

Actually, anything from s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/ is uncessary. Video players come from /yt/swfbin/

Block all non-images from every other domain of ytimg.com.

DONE. ADS ARE GONE.

----

Also, greasemonkey has a beta that is compatible with firefox 4. Even so, there is a fork of greasemonkey called Scriptish, which can be found at amo, that was created months ago specifically to be firefox 4 compatible, and has other enhancements.
asdf
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby spas|spas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:11 pm

1- yes, i'm an amateur of web-stuff. 2- i'm using ABP for ages and very satisfied of its performance BUT in some youtube pages it lets the ads go through, even its symbol on the right corner of the browser turns green. 3- i, an amateur, really have no wish nor knowledge to scan through those elements of a webpage and choose the ones which needs to be blocked. 4- i used greasemonkey for ages and very satisfied with its performance as well. 5-i just wanted to share what i know as an amateur 6-if you gain anything scorning people or specifically me, go on, nothing hinders you.

thanks.
spas|spas
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby lkjh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:30 pm

spas|spas wrote:2- i'm using ABP for ages and very satisfied of its performance BUT in some youtube pages it lets the ads go through, even its symbol on the right corner of the browser turns green.


If it turns green, that means it is allowing ads on that page - i.e. not even trying to block them. Are you sure you didn't accidentally click the AdBlock "Disable on this page only" option or something?
lkjh
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby random » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:37 am

but now im noticing the video doesn't play until the ad comes on. and the adblocker is off

Sure i never see the add, but i never see the video either
random
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby Jonessen » Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Use Opera and Youtube AdsFree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RjnQliU28)
I think it's not available in Firefox :D
But Opera is just better ;D
Jonessen
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby Captain Edd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:14 am

Download Youtube video with Real Player .. and upload to your Vimeo account :idea:
Captain Edd
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby DWA » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm

asdf wrote:come on, spas. There are no ads on youtube that require anything other than adblock plus to prevent them. If you can't figure it out, that's your inability, not the extension's. I have no problem blocking all ads on youtube and watching any video I want. You can't block google ads on youtube? What an amateur.

Pro-tip checklist for killing youtube ads:

google$third-party,domain=youtube.com

doubleclick$domain=youtube.com

block any object_subrequest items from any subdomain of youtube.com that is not /crossdomain.xml

Block any first-party flash or script from youtube.com except object_subrequest from *.c.youtube.com (||c.youtube.com$~object_subrequest)

|http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/ad-

Actually, anything from s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/ is uncessary. Video players come from /yt/swfbin/

Block all non-images from every other domain of ytimg.com.

DONE. ADS ARE GONE.

----

Also, greasemonkey has a beta that is compatible with firefox 4. Even so, there is a fork of greasemonkey called Scriptish, which can be found at amo, that was created months ago specifically to be firefox 4 compatible, and has other enhancements.


These are the type of answers given by tech savvy people who have forgotten what it's like when you first start out with this stuff. It's pretty much gobbeldy-goop to me. If you don't have patience with new people, how do you expect them to learn...

Just my opinion but I'm entitled to it.
DWA
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby DWA » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Can anyone give me simple step by step directions FROM THE BEGINING on how to use ablocks plus to block ads on youtube and still get videos to play? With adblock enabled I just get a line of text along the side with no graphics whenever I open youtube
DWA
 

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby lewisje » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:11 am

I've always just used ABP with the Fanboy Ultimate subscription...
lewisje
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Youtube Ads UNAVOIDABLE?

Postby steveoccd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:05 am

lewisje wrote:I've always just used ABP with the Fanboy Ultimate subscription...

awesome advice^^^
steveoccd
 

Next

Return to Filters for Adblock Plus

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests