Home screen shortcuts still have ads...how to prevent?

Everything about using Adblock Browser on Android
Dan_Fendi

Home screen shortcuts still have ads...how to prevent?

Post by Dan_Fendi »

Here's the shortest I can make the story:

My father wants to make a direct link on my mother's tablet that leads her directly to her favorite video streaming services.
She is not tech savvy, and tends to lock up and drive into a wall when she encounters ads (hence the reason for using this app).
When manually entering the website's name in the URL bar, Adblock Browser works exactly as billed.
However, if the website in question is bookmarked and made into a home screen shortcut, ads display normally, regardless of settings.

Is there a way to make a home screen shortcut to the website in question that doesn't allow ads to go through?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adblock Browser, tinkering with the settings, and making the shortcut from a bookmark and not from a bookmark.

Any help would be appreciated.
rach

Re: Home screen shortcuts still have ads...how to prevent?

Post by rach »

Hey Dan_Fendi!

As the start of ABP at Firefox startup is not fast enough to not significantly delay the whole Firefox opening, we decided to let Firefox start even if ABP is not fully loaded yet. Although this leads to pages with ads and tracking in some cases. However, you could change your settings by typing about:config in the Location Bar (address bar) and press Enter to display the list of preferences. From your list of options you can set this preference to true https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549#comment:3
I hope it works. Let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,