Adblock browser fails to open from google app

Everything about using Adblock Browser on Android
Steevo

Adblock browser fails to open from google app

Post by Steevo »

I have an LG G2, with android 5.
I use the google app, and it gives me stories, Google now cards.
If I have adblock browser set to open, some links from the google now cards do not open. And some do.
One that seems to fail at the moment is jewishpress.com.
I can see it select, but nothing opens.
An inter application communication problem.
If I got into the app settings and reset the default apps for adblock browser, then I get the popup when I click the now card asking which browser to open it with, Browser, Chrome, or Adblock Browser.
If I select chrome it all works, but then I get ads. And it keeps working.

Something is interfering with IAC from the google app and Adblock Browser.
I have updated the google app, no difference. There is no update for the adblock browser.
Steevo

Re: Adblock browser fails to open from google app

Post by Steevo »

Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong?
I posted a pretty thorough test.
I reset the defaults and launch the google now card entry with chrome, and it always works.
For some reason if I select adblock browser it clicks, but does not open. No launch.
rach

Post by rach »

Hey Steevo,

Thanks for reporting that.
Could you send us that links that you can't open from Adblock Browser?
Cheers.
Steevo

Post by Steevo »

Well, if I knew how to do that on an android phone. From the google app.
I'll look into it.
Anyone with an android phone should be able to reset the app prefs, and then when clicking the google app a popup appears with a browser selection.
If you select Adblock Browser a number of times you will see the problem.

I have Browser (from LG), Chrome and Adblock Browser installed at the moment.
It's not really clear which browser is being launched for the link, but I isolated the problem by deleting adblock browser from the prefs and then if I select any of the other browsers the link opens.
Steevo

Post by Steevo »

I did a little more troubleshooting.
The problem is the google app on android.
The app provides a news feed and other information, time to home and maps, stories you have searched google for or read.
So if you click on some of the links in your feed in the google app, the story gets gray when pressed, but the browser fails to launch.
Now, it reoccurred today.
No action when pressing the story, except clearly it is pressed since it changes color.
I tried several, but clearly this is not a problem for all stories in the feed.

I went in to apps, cleared the app defaults for adblock browser.
Now, the link works.
When pressed a google link, the browser selection window appear. I selected adblock browser.
After that a google.com link appears briefly and then the actual page appears.
I checked and the adblock browser is viewing the linked story.
So it seems the problem is related to the referrer from the google app, a google.com link which then launches the adblock browser with the link.
Now, since I have reset the app prefs and selected the adblock browser again, it works in all cases, which it did not before I reset the app prefs.
I think this is a problem with the referrer at google.com, and for some reason resetting the prefs as to which browser is used resets it and makes it work again.
Steevo

Post by Steevo »

I have continued to test.
It seems that when the adblock browser is selected in app preferences, and has been running for a while, maybe a few days, adblock browser stops working when you click links in other apps, or even in itself.

Like, for instance, when I look up a company, I get the result with the call button in blue, click it and it clearly is being pressed- changes color, but it does not open the dialer.
When this happens I can go into app prefs in android, click reset app defaults for the adblock browser, and then the clicks work.
Odd.
Steevo

Post by Steevo »

rach wrote:Hey Steevo,

Thanks for reporting that.
Could you send us that links that you can't open from Adblock Browser?
Cheers.
It's not a particular link that doesn't work.
It seems to be if the adblock browser has been running for a couple days it stops responding to clicks.
I notice I can use Advanced Task Killer Free, a few times, and then adblock browser becomes responsive again.
Some times I have to do that 4 or 5 times.
That will usually restore responsiveness.

As I posted above, even the dialer link is not responsive.
I use google app voice search to find a business, the google page shows up with the business page.
A call link in blue at the lower left, that is sometimes un clickable. The dialer does not open.
rach

Post by rach »

Hey Steevo,

Thanks for writing back to us and apologies for the delay.
What tasks do you kill? Could you give us more details about that?
Could you tell us what filter lists are enabled? Also, do you have Acceptable Ads enabled or disabled?
Hope to be able to help.
Steevo

Post by Steevo »

Well, Advanced Task Killer now says "boost" not kill, and I understand due to changed in Android permissions it cannot kill tasks like it used it.
So I let it kill everything except for it's own task, and I often have to do it several times before things become responsive again.

To answer your questions, I just looked,
I have only Easylist
I have acceptable ads enabled.

I cleared the app defaults after that last post, and I have not selected adblock browser on the list of apps since then, so adblock browser is probably not in use unless I launch it separately.
I have not seen the failure to respond to clicks from the google app since then.
I have been using chrome and I got a lot of annoying ads! Really annoying. I will read a story, and it blinks and an inline ad loads. Geez, how can anyone accept that?
I really want to be able to use adblock browser again.

If there's any specific testing you would like done I can help.
rach

Post by rach »

Hey Steevo,

Apologies for the delay.
Can you clear your cache and app settings for ABB Android and try it again to see if this alleviates the problem? Maybe some more links of items that don't properly open for you would help us test more as to why that particular link is not opening.
There is also a function in that particular google app that allows for the link to be pressed and then the tab to be opened in ABB in the background. Could you check that the link you are clicking actually is not opened behind the Google App already in ABB?