questions about ABP for iOS

Everything about using Adblock Plus on iOS
bsolar

questions about ABP for iOS

Post by bsolar »

It's available now.

It's possible to freely toggle acceptable ads, but I cannot find a way to further customise the filtering, e.g. by configuring EasyList subscriptions. There is basically no option but the acceptable ads toggle. Also, white space remains where the ads were supposed to be.

Are these limitations going to be addressed in a future release?
Doctor9fan

Re: Release date?

Post by Doctor9fan »

You can turn off acceptable ads by clicking/touching the little icon at the bottom of the screen - looks like crossed spammers/tools.
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

We will definitively look into providing more filtering options, especially language-specific lists. However, we are extremely limited by iOS, since we may not exceed 50,000 filters - the regular Easylist already has more. Also, there is no element collapsing for blocked elements, which leads to the observed white spaces. We could of course add explicit hiding filters for those, but then we get into the max filters issue again. All in all, Apple left us with pretty limited capabilities. Our Adblock Browser in comparison can make full use of our extension and the filter lists. If it's feasible for you to use that instead of Safari, it might be a better shot.
bsolar

Post by bsolar »

Well, I suspected Apple's limitations were in part to blame. I hope that given the huge popularity of adblockers they'll revise these limitations.

Thank you for your support.
trljbrlj

Re: questions about ABP for iOS

Post by trljbrlj »

Not work on iPhone 4S (iOS 9.02)?
mapx

Post by mapx »

trljbrlj wrote:Not work on iPhone 4S (iOS 9.02)?
details about what does not work ?
example pages / sites ?
trljbrlj

Post by trljbrlj »

Can not be installed, says: Cannot Download, This app od not compatible with your device. :-(

Thank You
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

One more limitation Apple chose to put in place: content blockers are only available for 64 bit devices, means >=iPhone 5s.
WideMasta

Post by WideMasta »

p_hill wrote:One more limitation Apple chose to put in place: content blockers are only available for 64 bit devices, means >=iPhone 5s.
Okay, but why does the install from your AdBlock Browser work on iPad 4 Retina and the AdBlock Plus won't??? It's not good!
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

Adblock Browser does not use the content blocking mechanism provided by Apple but the full Adblock Plus extension code just as in Desktop versions. That way, we are not limited by Apple's restrictions to 64 bit devices.
Athirn

Post by Athirn »

ABP for iOS doesn't work with russian and ukrainian ads yet. For example take a look on meta.ua web portal or fishki.net — all banners are there though ABP is on. Would you fix that please?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

There's a limit of 50,000 filters, so ABP for iOS doesn't even use the full base EasyList.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Athirn

Post by Athirn »

So is there any hope to get all ads blocked? A few other ad blockers work fine with all kinds of banners, but I'd like to have ABP on all my devices.
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

We are already looking into ways to optimize the list of blocking rules like combining many in one to give us some room for more filters. Once we were able to do that, we will look into offering country-specific lists as well.
Athirn

Post by Athirn »

That's great, thanks!