Fix Google ads to be clickable

Everything about using Adblock Plus on iOS
Swirl77

Fix Google ads to be clickable

Post by Swirl77 »

Thanks for a great initiative with Adblock Plus, I like it a lot. However there is one thing that annoys me a bit: It makes Google ads unusable. When I click a paid search ad link I get an error message saying that safari cannot open the page. This only happens with ABP enabled. Personally I would prefer that Google ads should be visible, since these are usually relevant as in opposite to all the other disruptive ads on web pages where ABP does a really good job hiding those.

So please could you do something about this?

/Jonas
lewisje

Re: Fix Google ads to be clickable

Post by lewisje »

I'm thinking that ABP for iOS cannot hide ads, and the text links cannot be prevented from showing up except by hiding, but the ad-redirector service can still be blocked and that's what ABP's stripped-down EasyList derivative does, because it does what it can do; also, unlike ABP for Chrome or Firefox, I'm thinking ABP for iOS has no way to know that a request is a document-style request (that is, that it's what shows up in the address bar) and therefore performs strict blocking, which ABP for Chrome and Firefox by design do not do.

Also, IIRC there is no way to set up your own exception rules in ABP for iOS, so that you can keep the URLs in Google ads from being blocked.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.