Will not install on iPad (3rd Generation) M#A1403

Everything about using Adblock Plus on iOS
tier3dude

Will not install on iPad (3rd Generation) M#A1403

Post by tier3dude »

I've been using Adblock Plus for IE for a couple of months and I love it! Recently, the adds on my iPad M#1403 are just out of hand. I can no longer read articles because of the gray page overlays that have no X, or constantly refreshing to the top of the page to load another damn ad. So I find Adblock Plus on the app store and go to install it, needs iOS9. Since iOS is up to 9.2.1 (after the first fix for the first service pack), I go ahead and upgrade. Go back to install Adblock Plus and now it's not compatible with my device. Apple should have told me that first! But I'll deal with them for that. My question is simply do you have a version I can install on my 3rd Gen iPad with iOS9? It's not that obsolete old.

Thanks!
James
mapx

Re: Will not install on iPad (3rd Generation) M#A1403

Post by mapx »

Did you try adblock browser for iOS ?
https://adblockbrowser.org/

support forum:
forum/viewforum.php?f=25
tier3dude

Post by tier3dude »

Meanwhile, I'm going to play with your browser now that I found it.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

The Content Blocker API only works on 64-bit iOS devices, but there's no way in the App Store to indicate this type of incompatibility, just the minimum compatible iOS version and whether an app is iPad-only.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@tier3dude: your last post was moved in the right forum
forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44434#p149236
AJStevens

Post by AJStevens »

lewisje wrote:The Content Blocker API only works on 64-bit iOS devices, but there's no way in the App Store to indicate this type of incompatibility, just the minimum compatible iOS version and whether an app is iPad-only.
Is that officially the case?

Not simply that the app has only been written for 64bit and adding 32bit support will allow all devices to install the app, I have an iPhone 5 (not 5s) and can't install it.

If so, then I guess I'd better hurry up and get 6s before the iPhone "your headphones are useless" 7 comes out.

Trying the Adblock browser for the moment, not bad, using it for the really annoying full screen pop up adverts on sites.

Wish the share button was visible, save an extra tap getting to password manager app.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

AJStevens wrote:
lewisje wrote:The Content Blocker API only works on 64-bit iOS devices, but there's no way in the App Store to indicate this type of incompatibility, just the minimum compatible iOS version and whether an app is iPad-only.
Is that officially the case?

Not simply that the app has only been written for 64bit and adding 32bit support will allow all devices to install the app
It is official:
Apple Developer Library wrote:Note: Apps containing content blocking extensions for Safari on iOS are available only on 64-bit devices, due to performance limitations of 32-bit devices.
(looking for a citation for the inability to keep the App Store from offering a 64-bit-only app to 32-bit devices)
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.