Issues in ABP 3.0

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development

Re: Issues in ABP 3.0

Postby mozreactor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am

Like others, I'd just like to let you know that I do not like the direction that you've taken with version 3, most especially with the "select element to hide" item.

I've downgraded to 2.9.1 and blocked updates (thankfully it was simple and non-destructive) and I'm happy again.

I'd also like to say that I use the Waterfox browser which will be providing support for "legacy"-style add-ons for the foreseeable future.
mozreactor

Re: How do I disable autoupdating to version 3.0?

Postby Crowley1661 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 am

Ryulong wrote:If you install directly from the home page it installs v2.9.1 rather than 3.0. And if you go into add-ons manager and hit "Options" for Adblock Plus you can turn off automatic updates, preventing the upgrade to 3.0 again.

What on earth are you talking about? From here?

https://adblockplus.org/

No it doesn't, it installs the new crap version.
Crowley1661

Postby Crowley1661 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 am

How do I downgrade to 2.9.1? The link from the homepage here

https://adblockplus.org/

adds the new terrible version with the non-working Block Element. I downgraded to FF54 W10 and disabled automatic updates to everything because 56 broke stuff, now all of the sudden nothing works anymore.

And why is Adblock+ so laggy on Firefox these days anyway? Takes 10-20 seconds for any page to function normally without lagging like it's run by a Windows98 machine with the least amount of ram.
Crowley1661

Postby mapx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 am

Read the thread.

install 2.9.1 from:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Then set OFF the addon updates. And stay on < FF 56 (from FF 57 the old addons don't work anymore).
mapx

Postby David Revill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 pm

So can I confirm I understand correctly - the customizable "View Blockable Items" feature **will** be reinstated in future versions of ABP for Firefox? I agree with most of the other posts here. It's absolutely essential in terms of being able to be as tight or as relaxed as you want about tracking scripts and the like. If your aim is to keep things really locked down, as mine is, the clumsy default options don't offer enough protection. The presence of "View Blockable Items" was what made ABP my go-to until now. Without it ABP is not fit for purpose I'm afraid. So I hope it's coming back.
David Revill

Postby greiner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 pm

David Revill wrote:So can I confirm I understand correctly - the customizable "View Blockable Items" feature **will** be reinstated in future versions of ABP for Firefox? I agree with most of the other posts here. It's absolutely essential in terms of being able to be as tight or as relaxed as you want about tracking scripts and the like.

The feature already exists in version 3.0 and you can find it in the DevTools under the "Adblock Plus" tab but it's not yet as powerful as its predecessor. With regards to customization, please let us know which additional features in particular you'd like to see added to it that you've gotten used to from the 2.x version.

David Revill wrote:If your aim is to keep things really locked down, as mine is, the clumsy default options don't offer enough protection.

Our goal is to provide as much control to the user as possible. While this has become more difficult with Firefox 57 since extensions can no longer be as tightly integrated into the browser as before, we're listening closely to what we can do to help you regain this control.
greiner
ABP Developer

Postby Garlandwars » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Does the settings in about:config have any effect anymore on the current adblock 3.0.1? i noticed that it was still in 2.9.1 under extensions.adblockplus.currentVersion. If not is there any way i could edit adblock Subscription autoupdates? the daily check is bugging me and it considerably slows down firefox.
Garlandwars

Postby greiner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Garlandwars wrote:Does the settings in about:config have any effect anymore on the current adblock 3.0.1? i noticed that it was still in 2.9.1 under extensions.adblockplus.currentVersion. If not is there any way i could edit adblock Subscription autoupdates? the daily check is bugging me and it considerably slows down firefox.

Admittedly, I'm not sure myself whether about:config is relevant anymore but I'd doubt it. With the new Firefox version we had to move our data to the new extension storage or use other Web APIs. So you can look at existing preferences by inspecting an extension page using Firefox' DevTools and running
Code: Select all
browser.storage.local.get(console.log)

Assuming that you're referring to the subscription_autoupdate preference, you could then set its value to false by running
browser.storage.local.set({"pref:subscriptions_autoupdate": false})
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Postby MOB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 am

mapx wrote:2. click F12, click "Adblock Plus" tab, press F5 (refreshing the page) ==> You'll get the list of the web requests, triggered filters, hover the rows and you can click "block item" / "add an exception"

Thanks for the instructions, I couldn't figure out where that setting was. Perhaps add a link there on the popup when we click on the ABP icon?

Also, when I do the steps above and press refresh, for some odd reason it either takes a long time to finish refreshing a page or it kind of freezes up (bloated). Also, the problem with refreshing the page, the ads on some sites keep changing. :(

The beauty of the old feature it was much faster and etc. Plus we could spot what ads or junk we wanted to block without having to refresh the page--which now makes it cumbersome to target what we want blocked.

Plus I also don't like the dark/black background and the red font color on blocked items, it kind of gets blurry or difficult to read. Maybe I'm going blind, but I think the old theme was much better? Maybe you can offer an option to change the background color? -- okay after adjusting the theme and restarting Firefox fixes it, but still another restart. :lol:

Also, I see that there is no way to disable ABP on a single page (instead on the entire site)? At least I could not find that option?

It's going to take a while to get used to the new platform. :(
Last edited by MOB on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOB

Postby mapx » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 am

What FF version are you using ?

see where's ABP panel (tab)
mapx

Postby ModemJunki » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:02 am

I've updated to FireFox 57 and when I press F12 I don't see the ABP tab.

How to configure ABP now?

Edit: Never mind - I had to "refresh" FF, as it imported all my crufty old tweaks.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
ModemJunki

Postby fms » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 am

Upgraded to Firefox57. Now, ABP leaks memory in multiple processes at once, at increased speed when compared to Firexfox56. As previously, the memory is lost in JS string allocations containing large pieces of the blocked HTML.
fms

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Postby greiner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 pm

MOB wrote:The beauty of the old feature it was much faster and etc. Plus we could spot what ads or junk we wanted to block without having to refresh the page--which now makes it cumbersome to target what we want blocked.

Firefox previously allowed us to get that information directly from the page whereas now we have to collect it ourselves while the page is loading. On trick you could use is to open a new tab, then open the DevTools (e.g. by using F12) and then navigating to the page you want to look at in that tab. Thereby you're getting the requests from the page without having to reload it.

MOB wrote:Also, I see that there is no way to disable ABP on a single page (instead on the entire site)? At least I could not find that option?

That's correct. This UI feature has yet to be implemented and we're planning on reintroducing a bunch of features from the previous Firefox version. Until then, you can create the following custom filter to achieve the same effect:
@@|http://www.example.com/test$document

Just replace "http://www.example.com/test" with the URL of the page you want to whitelist.
greiner
ABP Developer

Postby kzar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:51 pm

fms wrote:Upgraded to Firefox57. Now, ABP leaks memory in multiple processes at once, at increased speed when compared to Firexfox56. As previously, the memory is lost in JS string allocations containing large pieces of the blocked HTML.

Please could you file an issue for this and copy me (kzar) in so that I can investigate?
kzar
ABP Developer

Postby kzar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

mapx wrote:Kevin "email" from https://adblockplus.org/blog/adblock-plus-browser-add-on-gets-comfy-with-firefox-57#c007251

Kevin · 2017-11-08 03:54 · #

It’s me again; I refined my list of must-haves for adblock. I tried to email it to the devs but got an email error. How can I email the developers??
Here’s the email:

To the adblock devs:

Earlier, I just listed things I don’t like in the new version, but I know it is more important that you (the devs) know which “features” are “critical” for users.
Since you can’t just copy the 2.0 design, you need to know the must-have features so you can re-implement them somehow.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thank you Kevin for the thorough and useful feedback. Like you suspected some of the issues you experienced were bugs in either Adblock Plus or Firefox, we're trying to go through and fix / report as many of those as possible. As for your other points I'll pass them on, I'm hoping we can improve some of them for you at least.
kzar
ABP Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Adblock Plus development