Definition of Irony

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
hvntacloo

Definition of Irony

Post by hvntacloo »

When AdBlock Plus opens up a tab in Chrome, interrupting your work, just to inform you that it has been updated.

(Please don't let this happen again. Thanks.)
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Definition of Irony

Post by greiner »

We haven't shown such an updates page since the introduction of Acceptable Ads in 2012 and we only intend to do this for major changes to Adblock Plus. In this case we thought that it was worth drawing attention to the new options page to give people more control over what the extension does.

I do see your point though and I agree that this can be annoying if such a page pops up every few weeks. On the other hand, people complained about the lack of such a message when we released the new options page for Firefox back in December.

Anyway, you can prevent such pages from showing up in the future by running the following code in the extension's background page:

Code: Select all

browser.storage.local.set({"pref:suppress_first_run_page": true})
Do you think we should add an option for that to the options page?
SonGoKu

Post by SonGoKu »

Now every time I open Chrome, I will ALWAYS be shown the "adblock plus has been updated page"! It's damn annoying and how do I get it to stop?
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

We are aware of this issue but weren't able to reproduce it yet (see https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/6599). It'd be great if you could provide any further details there - especially if you have some special configuration (e.g. company computer, Chrome OS, or such). It's still unclear what causes this issue for some users, unfortunately. Sorry about that.
helasraizam

Post by helasraizam »

This is the reason I made an account on here, and it's a big problem for any addon, especially adblock. I wanted to suggest instead of js injection to make this an option on the "options" page of the addon so it might synchronize across devices and not be so hidden a feature.